6 Pros Of Having Online Classes This Semester

We all miss campus, but there are some upsides to staying at home too.

17

As we enter the back to school season, students are a little more disappointed that summer is ending than usual. Going back to school usually means being able to see our friends again, participating in clubs, going to school events, all the things we look forward to. However, this semester, many schools have decided to have classes online due to the COVID -19 pandemic. This has left a lot of students feeling discouraged and less motivated for the upcoming semester. As a student who is also missing their campus right now, I've decided to put together a list of good things about going online this semester.

Safety

As much as we all wish it was safe to return to campus, the reality is that is it much safer to remain home. I would love to go back to school and see all my friends, participate in welcome back activities, and move in with my new roommates. However, doing so and going to classes could put my health as well as everyone else's in jeopardy. Masks, hand sanitizer, and social distancing are great precautions, but it's even safer to be away from campus for now.

No more commuting

Now all you have to do to make it to class is roll out of bed and turn on your laptop. No more waking up early, getting ready, and walking or driving to class. Now you can learn in the comfort of your own bed. This means more time to sleep, and more time to get your work done without having to worry about the commute. For those of us who live on campus, we also don't have to worry about packing this semester. I wanted to move in too, but the idea of packing everything up is so intimidating that I just know I'd be putting it off. This way, I don't have to worry about it until Spring.

Comfy clothes all day, every day

While some of us do enjoy getting dressed up every morning, we can't deny that not having to change out of our pajamas is something we want. I suppose you can do this on campus too, but this way no one even has to know. You have no where to go, nowhere to be, so you can wear whatever you want. You can lounge around in whatever you want as long as you're getting your work done. Take advantage of this!

No class presentations

One of my personal biggest pros for having online classes this semester is that it eliminates class presentations. Unless you're someone who enjoys class presentations-- strange, but okay-- you don't have to worry about stressing over these this semester! The most you'll have to do is talk over zoom, and that is much less anxiety inducing than standing up in front of a class. While there are a lot of adjustments to make to make sure we succeed in our online classes, at least we don't have to worry about presentations.

Spend more time with family and friends

Even though we'll be missing our college friends and community, we at least get to spend more time with our family and friends at home. We usually don't get to see them during the school year this much--so take advantage of it! Make sure you're spending as much time as possible with them now, because in the spring you'll end up missing them! You can always FaceTime and text your college friends, and you can rely on your friends at home for now. The good thing about this situation is you are not going through it alone! There are so many people in similar situations and it's our jobs to help each other.

We have the spring to look forward to

Keep your head up! We're all disappointed about not going back to campus just yet, but just think about how exciting it will be to go back when it's finally safe. Reuniting with your friends, moving in, taking classes in person again. If anything, this experience has taught us everything we take for granted. When we go back, it'll be even better than before.

Despite Fall 2020 not being a traditional semester, we can all find a way to enjoy it and be successful together. Being disappointed that we're not moving back to campus is natural, but everything is going to be okay. Take a breath, acknowledge the pros of this situation, allow yourself to sulk for a little while, do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself and those around you. Good luck everyone!