6 Notable Games From 2016 Rivalry Week

6 Notable Games From 2016 Rivalry Week

There is nothing better than a deep rivalry paired with football.

The second-to-last week of regular season college football, also known as rivalry week, graced viewers with football heaven this past weekend. The College Football Playoff looming above the heads of athletes and coaches has amplified these rivalries to the point where even newborns are gifted from birth. The result? A weekend dedicated to sitting on the edge of your seat and waking up the next morning to a lost voice.

1. Ohio State vs. Michigan (30-27)

Where do I begin? Fourth-and-1, six seconds left with overtime looming overhead—the first in Ohio State vs. Michigan's 113-game rivalry. On-field scuffles, overtime and then double overtime later. Ohio State came out victorious this year and Michigan may be out of playoff contention. Harbaugh may disagree with the call prior to the final play, which allowed a first down, but we'll see what the selection committee officially decides.

2. Penn State vs. Michigan State (45-12)

This game may have been predictable, but Penn State winning the Big Ten East was not. Penn State's 2-2 start this season and losing 49-10 to Michigan did not strike me as potential title-winner material. Penn had a 35-0 lead in the first half alone, while the Spartans are losing what got them to the College Football Playoffs just last season. On the bright side, Penn State is regaining its balance and it's a joy to watch.

3. Kentucky vs. Louisville (41-38)

Lamar Jackson, Heisman-favorite, ended the game breaking Howard Stevens' 1,429 rushing yard mark while also breaking Deshaun Watson's previous record for single-season touchdown record within the ACC. A 47-yard field goal with 12 seconds left in the game was what determined the fate. Jackson threw three interceptions, which hopefully does not affect his Heisman Trophy race.

4. Alabama vs. Auburn (30-12)

Although not a huge surprise, you can't help but feel some form of satisfaction when Alabama wins (maybe due to the fact that Nick Saban is one of the greatest college football coaches in history). Auburn was first on the board with a field goal, however 20 minutes into the game they still hadn't gotten a first down. Alabama led 13-9 at halftime and is unlikely to shift from their No. 1 ranking.

5. Florida State vs. Florida (31-13)

Dalvin Cook joined Sammie Smith, who in 1988 also had three consecutive 100-yard games against UF. UF was 0-12 for third down efficiency and has not had an offensive touchdown against FSU since the two played in 2014. Great game for the Seminoles, but for the Gators this is just a warning for a possible repeat of how they ended last year.

6. USF vs. UCF (48-31)

GO BULLS (although this was no surprise). The War On I-4 ended with USF extending the longest active streak of games with 30-plus points (at 16 games currently) and the Bulls ending their season with a record of 10-2. UCF led two minutes into the game, but Marlon Mack returned with two running touchdowns accompanied by Juwuan Brown's 22-yard fumble return.