6 Movie Trilogies Where The Second Was The Best

Because it seems like that’s rare.

185

Everyone loves a good movie trilogy. There is just something about sitting down and watching three movies back to back that no one can quite explain. It usually takes the first movie to get you excited. Then there is the hope for a second, but the second lets you down. Finally, the third seems unnecessary, but you watch it anyway to get closure. But there are cases where the second was even better than the first. Here are 6 of them:

1. Cheetah Girls 2

While reading this, you may think, why would you put this movie on a list with other movies that set/broke box office records and its because it goes with the topic at hand. The Cheetah Girls was one of the first Disney Channel Original Movies that featured a lot of singing and dancing within the movie itself. The first one took place in New York City and centered around the road to a talent show and the second film did the same, except it was set in Spain. The music was just as, if not better than the first movie’s. The story hd some drama attached but in the end you will be dancing along to "Amigas Cheetahs."

2. Rugrats in Paris: The Movie

The Rugrats Movies aren't often seen as a trilogy but it turns out they are. There’s not much to talk about but Rugrats in Paris is actually a great children’s movie that if you actually sit down and watch, is very emotional if you compare the beginning scenes t the ending ones. So if you have younger family members that want to see a movie, Rugrats in Paris is a great watch for the whole family if you throw away the “I’m to old to watch a cartoon” mentality. Of course it’s going to have a happy ending but it’s a great one that eventually carried over into the TV series.

3. The Dark Knight

Seen as one the best Batman Movies to date along with the best depiction of the Joker, The Dark Knight obviously had to be on this list. It’s great film-making and great storytelling in an industry that usually has either on or the other. There’s not much to say about the film on why you should see it because if you haven't already, the reasons may be because you either don’t like Batman or prefer the Marvel Universe over the DC Universe. But if that is the case just watch the movie and be amazed and see why people have such high expectations for films that feature Batman and Joker.

4. Back To The Future II

Clearly the best of the three movies, Back To The Future II takes you to the future, the past in which the events of there first movie took place, back to the future (wink) and so on. The movie is iconic for its depiction of the future in which the year was 2015 and the sneakers the main protagonist Marty McFly wore in that depiction of the future. They were released in real life with the self tying abilities. Of course they cost a fortune but the movie should’ve been the last. But when people like a sequel so much, they just have to make another one. The third we will not discuss and act like it didn't happen.

5. High School Musical 2

Another Disney Channel Original Movie, The High School Musical movies inspired it’s audience to appreciate musical theatre even though the plot of the sequel to the first was about a country club talent show loosely. High School Musical was a great movie but the second gave us the breakup song of our generation “Gotta Go My Own Way,” our inspirational anthem “Bet On It,” and our self loving anthem “Fabulous.” All three of the High School Musical Movies are a great watch but the second is a greater rollercoaster ride than the first. They announced they’ll be making a court but it’ll be a completely new cast so we’ll still refer to the first three as a trilogy.

6. Star Wars Episode V

Finally, the obvious choice for this list. Although there are currently seven Star Wars movies out they began being released as trilogies in 1977 with Episode IV. Then prequels began being released in 1999 with Episode I. Nonetheless, Episode V is regarded as the best of the original trilogy. It was the climax of the three films and rightfully so. (*SPOILER ALERT) It features the iconic “Luke, I am your father line.” which villain Darth Vader proclaims to Luke that he is his father who he thought had died in the Rebellion, a while back. It’s usually debated which Star Wars movies are the best, but it’s almost universally excepted that Episode V is the best out of the original trilogy.