6 Life Lessons I Learned From Being On Student Council

Sometimes the most important lessons don't come from a textbook.

7592
Steph Spero

I've been a part of student council ever since I can remember. It's always been something I've loved to do and has taught me many important life lessons. The friends I've made and lessons I've learned (the easy or the hard way) have allowed me to grow and succeed in life. I'll always be proud of the things I have accomplished while on student council, and I will never forget all the stress and sense of pride that have come with the job. If you're on student council, want to be on student council, or just want some decent advice, continue reading. Here are the top six most important things I've learned from being on student council.

1. Sometimes you need to rely on other people.

If your VP says he's got it, you need to trust he's got it. Trusting others and relying on your team is important. You can't do everything and trusting others is a great skill. Sometimes you'll be disappointed, but if you have a great group of people you work with, then there's no need to worry. And if by some chance he doesn't "got it" then you all work together to make sure it happens. That's what being on a team is all about: having each other's backs.

2. How to speak up for others.

As a leader on student council, part of your job is relaying messages to the important people. You need to listen to what your peers want and need and send that information to the principal or other teachers or administration. It's essential you help the people get what they want otherwise how are they going to trust you'll get things done? If you can be there for them, and help them get what they want and need (within reason) then your peers can respect you and re-elect you, because they know you mean business.

3. You can't please everyone.

This took me a while to figure out, unfortunately. You can try and try your best to make everyone happy but there will always be someone who doesn't like you or what you do. And you know what? That's okay. If you have people who disagree with you then you're doing something right. If you can please the majority, that's all that matters. There are always going to be people who are unhappy with things and need to let you know and that's just part of the job. Just as you listen to people complimenting and commending your actions, there are people waiting to let you know what you are doing wrong. Criticism is important and it's also important you listen to it. However, don't make yourself sick or change for those knocking you down. Stick to your morals and ideas, and you'll be okay.

4. Planning events is as stressful as it sounds.

Even a year out of high school, I still have nightmares about planning certain events. I wake up in a cold sweat panicking about how our tricky tray didn't raise enough money and everyone hated me and impeached me. (Luckily, that didn't happen. But you get the picture.) Planning events like proms and pep rallies can be stressful sometimes, but if you work to make sure everything is the best it can be and start planning early you'll be amazed at how everything comes out. Ask advice from people who also planned these events in the past to see what worked and what didn't work. Working together and forming a committee can also help and take some of the stress away too.

5. Learn from your mistakes.

It's okay to mess up!! Let me repeat...IT IS OKAY TO MESS UP!! Not everything is going to be perfect. Maybe a seating chart get's messed up, or you need to extend a deadline. We are people, and we make mistakes. The only things you can do from a mistake is learn from it and try not to repeat it. People can be very understanding and there is always someone willing to help you out. Mistakes will happen; if you order the wrong thing and you're stuck with it, odds are people will forget about it, even if it haunts you for the rest of your life... (like ordering the wrong color shirts for your class and they end up looking like oatmeal)...

6. And finally...being a leader.

This is sort of obvious but when you're on student council one of the main points that advisors stress is that you are a leader and you need to act like one. You need to be the type of person people can come to and look up to. You are representing your peers and your school. You need to be a person who people can trust and respect. You need to show other schools the type of people your school elects for council. Being a leader is a very important skill, not only for student council but in life--whether it's on a sports team or being a leader at work, knowing how to lead others will help get you very far.