6 Life Lessons I Have Learned From The Beach

And you don't have to listen through a shell to hear it.

444
Provided by Author

My family goes to the beach at least once every summer. It is our go-to vacation, I was raised a beach bum. I've had my share of sunburns, sandy hair, and jellyfish stings. So in my nineteen years of beach going, I've noticed that the ocean can often serve as a metaphor for life, dishing out life lessons left and right.

1. Face your problems head on.

When you are in the ocean and a wave comes at you, you need to make a snap decision. You can't afford to run away from the oncoming wave because then you'll get caught up in the wave, tumbling through, scraping your skin against the sand and shells. The best way to solve these problems is to jump as high as you can to rise above them.

2. With that said, you should also be able to tell when you should keep your head down and dive through the wave.

Ducking down saves you from a world of trouble that may be caused by trying to stand your ground. You may get a little wet but you'll end up better on the other side.An added bonus is that you won't get a mouthful of saltwater!

3. Just like the tide, there will be high points and low points in your life.

They come naturally and often times are out of your control but always remember, easier times are coming, you just have to wait. Don't let the low points get you down, the only salt water on your skin should be that of the ocean, not tears.

4. Don't fight the rip tide.

When something (or someone!) more powerful and stronger than you are is trying to pull you down or take you somewhere you don't want to go, don't bother fighting. You might drown in the struggle. The best solution is to swim in a different direction and away from the problem (preferably parallel to the shore) and yell for help!

5. Remember to take care of your body.

Sunblock may be gooey and uncomfortable when you have grains of sand covering your body but its better than the alternative! Also, remember to stay hydrated!

6. The beach will always welcome you back home.

The ocean doesn't care who you are or what you look like. It's waves will embrace you just the same. It doesn't care if you spend your time sunbathing in a bikini or surfing in a wet suit or reading the summer's bestseller or for the boardwalk fries, the beach is for everyone.

So although the ocean may like to give out some tough love (like catapulting you onto the shore while under water) it can teach you a lot about life! Take note and enjoy your vacation!