6 Lessons I Learned From The Final Five

6 Lessons I Learned From The Final Five

The #FinalFive have taken the world by storm.

158
6 Lessons I Learned From The Final Five

If you're anything like me, you've been eating up every second of the 2016 Olympics in Rio. We've watched Katie Ledecky absolutely smash her own world record, we've witnessed greatness with Simone Manuel becoming the first African-American woman to win a gold medal, and seen the end of Michael Phelps's stunning career - and that's just swimming! We've also seen spectacular performances from our water polo team, the cyclists, the wrestlers, and so much more. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the women's gymnastics team as they've made their way into history.

Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, Gabby Douglas, Laurie Hernandez, and Madison Kocian are officially the 'Final Five.' Watching them compete for Olympic gold has been interesting and educational. I've actually learned a lot from watching these five girls compete in the Olympics. These are the a few of the lessons I've learned from our Olympian gymnasts.

1. Dream big

Simone Biles has said several times since being on the Olympic stage that if you had told her four years ago that she would be at the Olympics, she wouldn't have believed you. Martha Karolyi, couch of the Final Five, said the same thing. Every four years, we hear stories of athletes that give everything to compete and earn the title of Olympic champion. This team of girls is the epitome of that - they all went from normal gymnasts to elite because they chose to follow their dreams. Gabby Douglas is another example of that: She moved from her hometown of Virginia Beach to Des Moines, Iowa in order to train at one of the best gyms in the nation. These girls are living their dream, and teaching others to follow their own.

2. Smile

I don't think I can see Laurie Hernandez compete--particularly in floor, but also on beam - without smiling. She's one of the happiest gymnasts I've seen and she truly enjoys what she does. I want to be able to smile like she does no matter what I'm doing.

3. See the best in all situations

Simone was favored to win gold in almost every event, including all-around. She was delivering until it came to balance beam--where she still medaled, earning bronze behind her teammate Laurie Hernandez. She said something profound on her twitter (and Snapchat) the night after the competition, saying that she was proud of herself for earning it even though she had fallen on the beam. Simone even said that she felt more proud of herself for earning that medal because in a way she fought for it. I think that's a mindset we all need to share - it's not always about being the best, it's about doing our best.

4. Disappointment stinks

Jordyn Weiber was the shut out in 2012, Gabby Douglas was the shut out this year. The rules about the all-around competition are frustrating for the US team every year. Three girls compete for the two all-around qualifying spots. The third girl may be better than several other girls that qualify for the all-around, but they can't compete because of IOC rules. It hurts, it's annoying, and there are tears. It's heart wrenching to watch them, but in the end they handle it with a ton of decorum. Many of them are right there cheering on their teammates in the end. It stinks to be on the receiving end, but knowing how to handle disappointment is key.

5. Cheer for your teammates, always

Madison Kocian only competed in one event - the uneven bars. She's a specialist, and a very good one, but because of this we didn't see her much outside of her individual event and during the team competition. However, that didn't stop her from leaving cute messages (with Laurie) on Aly Raisman's pillow after the all-around competition completed. It didn't stop her from cheering with her other teammates whenever any of them were competing! She was always there, as were the alternates and anyone else not competing.

6. It doesn't matter where you came from

Dreams are worth dreaming. It doesn't matter if you're from Massachusetts, Texas, Florida or California. It doesn't matter what background you have. It doesn't matter about your heritage. This year's gymnastic team was one of the most diverse I've ever seen. The five were made up of two African Americans and one member of Hispanic heritage. In the alternates, there was one gymnast with Native American heritage. At the Olympics especially, it doesn't matter where you come from--it matters what you're doing.

There are a million things we could learn from the amazing gymnasts that have graced the Olympics from the USA this year. We've seen amazing success from all the girls, including an incredible Gold and Silver win at the All-Around event. The Final Five are an inspiration to all people across America, including young girls What was your favorite part of their competition?