6 Common Myths You May Have Heard About Liberty University

Lets just take a moment to disprove all of them
5166

When Liberty University is mentioned, it is often hinted at with a negative connotation. So many people have a negative view of Liberty University for reasons that are actually nonexistent. I, a current Liberty student, even held a negative view of the school due to twisted lies that I had heard about it that I can now testify to be false. Here are just a few myths disproven that you may have heard at some point about Liberty University:

1. We are super strict

Sure there are some rules, but the rules are definitely not as strict as you thought they were. I remember hearing someone tell me they got fined for getting out of bed the wrong way. Yes, the RA's enforce the rules, but they are understanding of what it is like to be a college student. They know what is reasonable and how to show mercy. Each rule is set in place in order to produce success and greatness from each student. The rules are not set in place with the intention of taking away student's fun, but they are there in order to better the students.

2. We can't have fun

Often times I am faced with the question of what Liberty students do on the weekends. With no sororities or alcohol, what is a school to do, right? To answer that I can say that I don't think I've ever been in an environment where I have seen more flyers for events going on at campus than in my time at Liberty. There are always super creative events taking place on campus such as concerts, dance nights, Scaremare, Coffeehouse, Camp Hidaway, etc. The sporting events are always filled with so much school spirit and fun. Not to mention, though most people wouldn't choose Lynchburg, Virginia as their destination for a vacation, there are actually several places where college students can hang out and have a good time. I'm convinced Liberty students have the best time because the fun they have is clean and moralistic.

3. Girls and guys can't associate

This is definitely not a true statement. Girls and guys can associate with each other basically anywhere on campus except for halls and dorm rooms. The Commons is a co-ed dorm and even has a common room between halls in which guys and girls can associate. Not to mention, there are such things as open dorms where guys are allowed to enter girls rooms and girls can do the same with the guys hall. There are so many opportunities to get to know people of the opposite sex - no wonder ring by spring is such a thing.

4. We are not allowed to leave campus without permission

Even with a curfew, you are allowed to leave campus at any time. If you choose to leave after curfew, all you have to do is sign out. I remember hearing from someone that every time Liberty students left campus, they had to notify someone. It's not parole, it's college! You are a young adult and can make your own choices without telling someone every move you make. If you would like to leave campus you are given that freedom at Liberty to do so without notifying anyone.

5. It's the school you go to when you can't get into anywhere else

Believe it or not, Liberty University actually has a 22% acceptance rate. That is way lower than most schools. It is the largest school in Virginia and the largest Christian school in the world. It offers 500 programs of study. Liberty has recently been accredited for its success in the law school and school of business. The Liberty University School of Law's Moot team has just been ranked number nine in the nation. The school has produced several notable alumni such as Shannon Bream, TobyMac, and Rashad Jennings. While most schools challenge its students academically, Liberty challenges its students academically and spiritually. Your professors want to challenge you to prepare you for success, and also pray for you and get to know you on a deeper level in order to grow you spiritually.

6. We are all judgmental

Just because the school holds certain views does not by any means mean that we judge anyone whose beliefs differ with ours. Liberty is a school based upon and rooted in Christianity and Conservatism. But just because the beliefs that Liberty holds may be different from others does not mean that we have a right to judge them. However, we do hold the right to disagree. I cannot speak on behalf of the whole student body, but as a Christian school, it would be against Biblical principles to judge anyone else. To those who have been judged by people of Liberty, I am truly sorry - that is not what the school is based on. Liberty is also open to hearing different view points, for example, when the school invited Bernie Sanders to speak. Liberty University is a school that wants to produce students who share the love of Christ to one another despite differences.

Hopefully this article was able to give you a little glimpse of what Liberty University looks like and was able to clear some air as to what is truth and what is false. Liberty University is a school that does its best to produce students who are successful academically, morally, and spiritually. Yes, it is unique and different from your average school, but I am fully convinced that Liberty students are able to enjoy themselves the most because of the safe, clean, and moralistic environment that Liberty does its best to maintain.