8 Things To Know Before Coming To Loyola Maryland

This may be of use.

5515

As I am now in my second semester of my freshman year in college, I would say I am pretty adapted to life on campus. However, like all freshman normally have in their first year away from home, the beginning was tough. I was in a new place, didn't know anyone and did not know the campus yet. While I may have been able to kind of get the hang of things now, there is a lot I wish I had known before coming to Loyola University Maryland. Here are some of things you should know about the school before coming here.

1. It is a bar school.

You may have people tell you this before you arrive, but it truly is a reality here. There are a few bars around the area that are really popular, and Rally In The Alley is an event widely attended. Since it is a bar school, there really aren't many parties that happen on campus. That being said, if you are under 21, you will need a fake in order to go out. If you don't have one, you may feel like you are missing out. If this isn't your scene, try to find people with the same idea as you. That way, you aren't all alone while the rest of your roommates are out. People go out every night from Thursday to Sunday, so before you come here, figure out if that is the type of scene you're into.

2. There is no Greek life.

One of the main reasons there aren't any parties on campus is due to the fact that there isn't Greek life. Since it is a Jesuit institution, they just don't have fraternities or sororities. If that is your type of thing, there are parties nearby at Towson or John Hopkins.

3. It is smaller than you think.

Loyola is called a medium school and has somewhere around 6,000 undergrads. However, it is actually a lot smaller than you would think. There is a west side of campus with dorms and an east side campus with dorms. In the middle is the main campus which is literally a tiny circle. It is kind of impossible to get lost. Everything is walking distance and not even that far of a walk. Also, even though there are 6,000 plus people on campus, you will probably see someone multiple times a day or everyday. As I go to class, I see the same faces of people I do not know. It is crazy to think about how small Loyola really is.

4. You will need an umbrella, rain coat, rain boots, snow boots and anything else to help with weather.

Even though it is a small campus and a short walk, you are still outside for a decent amount of time. There are not any tunnels or anything (I don't think) that you can use to escape the cold, wind, snow or rain. It is especially important when you have to walk across the bridge. The bridge is a literal wind tunnel, so just be prepared.

5. Living in apartments as a freshman isn't always the best.

Loyola is ranked with having some of the best dorms on campus. As a freshman you are allowed to be in full apartments. Your first year is the only time you will have an option to live in a typical dorm setting. Think long and hard about your choice! Many choose an apartment to get away from communal bathrooms or floor common spaces, but not everyone ends up loving being in apartments. There is only one dorm on campus that has apartments for freshman, which is Campion on the west side. All of the other freshman dorms, aside from one, are on the other side of campus. People have found they have more friends on the other side or that they feel the other side has more of a community. Of course in the apartment style you can leave open your doors, but it has been said in the typical dorming situation, it is much more relaxed and you get to know your neighbors better.

6. It is a city.

Obviously, Loyola Maryland is in Baltimore, which is a city. And to be honest, it is not exactly the most safe location. Loyola is right by York Road, which is not a street you are really advised to walk on alone. This also means that you have common things that go along with cities, such as crime. I make sure to always carry my handy dandy pepper spray around with me at all times. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and travel with others, you should be fine. Just something to think about when you are thinking about the area.

7. Be ready to see a lot of puppies.

Yes, you read that correctly. Many students from Loyola work with an organization called SDWR to be puppy raisers. The students train the puppies for a while until they are ready to be given to a family in need of a service dog. So, that means there are lots of puppies walking around campus and in your classes!

8. Nothing is really free.

In order to do simple things, you have to pay money here. By that I mean, no free laundry or printing. Drying and washing are $1.50 each. Even though we are paying so much in tuition we still have to pay to wash our clothes. Printing also costs some money. I am pretty sure it depends on how much you print. However, many times the printers around campus give everyone an issue. Honestly, just buy your own printer that works with your computer for your room. It is so much easier.

I know this is a pretty short list, but this is all that comes to mind at the moment. I am sure I will eventually think of more things, and if that happens, I will write a follow up piece. But for now, here is a few things that may be helpful to know.