52 Interesting Super Bowl Facts To Impress Your Friends

Think You Know Super Bowl History? I Know More!

726
Wikimedia

I love the Super Bowl. Do you know what I love even more? That my team is playing in the Super Bowl this year! Do you know what else I love?

Super Bowl history and trivia!

While the NFL has been deciding champions since it's inception in 1920, the Super Bowl has been the be-all-end-all of ultimate glory in sports. The pageantry, the spectacle, the lore! While my own team, the Eagles, have made nearly zero contributions to Super Bowl history, I still love the history and origin of the biggest game in the world.

Whether you're an Eagles fan, Patriots fan, football fan, commercial fan, or halftime show fan, you know and have seen a Super Bowl.

So I have a treat for you, 52 interesting Super Bowl facts to share your friends with.

Enjoy!

1. The first two Super Bowls were not called “The Super Bowl” but the NFL vs. AFL World Championship Game.

2. The man who coined the term Super Bowl was Kansa City Chiefs and AFL founder Lamar Hunt after watching his kids play with a “Super Ball”

3. The first Super Bowl touchdown was a one-handed reception by Max McGee of the Green Bay Packers.

Packers quarterback Bart Starr claims he that McGee had stayed up the night before the game and was hungover.

4. The Super Bowl trophy was named the Lombardi Trophy in honor of Green Bay Packers head coach Vince Lombardi, who won the first two Super Bowls and passed away in 1970.

5. The Vince Lombardi trophy is made every year by Tiffany and Co. and costs $25,000.00

6. The first four Super Bowls occurred before the NFL/AFL merger, and the NFL and AFL split in their four meetings with the NFL’s Packers winning the first two but the AFL’s Jets and Chiefs winning the last two in historic upsets.

7. Despite being the last two AFL Champions, neither the New York Jets nor Kansa City Chiefs have ever won an AFC Championship.

8. Chuck Howley of the Dallas Cowboys is the only player to win Super Bowl MVP on the losing team in a 16-13 loss to the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl V.

10. The only team to never score a touchdown in the Super Bowl are the 1971 Dolphins who only scored 3 in a 24-3 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

11. The last Super Bowl loser to go back and win it the very next season was the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

12. No team in has won 3 Super Bowls in a row, the closest were the 1976 Steelers, 1990 49ers and the 1994 Cowboys who all fell short in the conference championship game.

13. The only Super Bowl to have Co-MVPs was Super Bowl 12 when the Cowboys Randy White and Harvey Martin shared the honor.

14. Though they don’t have the most wins, the Dallas Cowboys have the most players to win Super Bowl MVP with 7 despite winning 5.

15. No head coach has ever won a Super Bowl for two different teams.Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermeil, Bill Parcells, and Mike Holmgren are the only head coaches to have coached multiple teams in the Super Bowl.

16. Desmond Howard of the Green Bay Packers is the only Special Teams player to win Super Bowl MVP in 1996.

17. The NFC went on a 13-year winning streak in Super Bowls from 1984-1996. It was snapped in Super Bowl 32 by the Denver Broncos over the Green Bay Packers.

18. There has never been a punt return for a touchdown in the Super Bowl.

19. The only opening kickoff to have been returned for a touchdown in Super Bowl history was Devin Hester of the Bears in 2006.

20. The only teams to enter the Super Bowl Undefeated were the 1972 Miami Dolphins and 2007 New England Patriots. Miami won, New England lost.

These shirts can be found overseas

21. Despite playing in 7 Super Bowls, the Patriots in the Brady/Belichick Era have never scored in the first quarter in any of them.

22. The only teams to play in at least 3 consecutive Super Bowls are the Miami Dolphins (1971-73) and Buffalo Bills (1990-93)

23. The Buffalo Bills are the only team to make four straight Super Bowls. Unfortunately, they lost ALL of them.

24. The last Super Bowl loser to make it back the next year were the 1993 Buffalo Bills.

25. The Buffalo Bills and the Dallas Cowboys are the only teams to meet in the Super Bowl in back-to-back years (1992-1993)

26. The Eagles and Patriots will be the sixth matchup of teams to play each other in the Super Bowl multiple times. The others are Steelers/Cowboys, Dolphins/Redskins, 49ers/Bengals, Cowboys/Bills, and Patriots/Giants

27. The only teams to play each other in the Super Bowl three times are the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Dallas Cowboys (1975, 1978, 1995)

28. Out of 32 teams in the NFL, the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Houston Texans are the only teams to never appear in a Super Bowl. The Lions and Browns are the only ones to have existed when the Super Bowl Era began.

29. The teams with the most Super Bowl appearances without winning one are the Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings, each with four.

30. The New York Giants are the only team to win a Super Bowl in four different decades. (1986, 1990, 2007, 2011)

31. The longest Pick-Six in Super Bowl history was by James Harrison of the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl 43. The linebacker ran it back for 100 yards at the end of the first half.

32. The player to get the most interceptions in a single Super Bowl was Oakland Raiders linebacker Rod Martin with 3 Super Bowl 15.

33. Rich Gannon of the Oakland Raiders threw a record 5 interceptions against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Super Bowl 37. Albeit he playing against his former head coach Jon Gruden who knew the Raider offense.

34. Super Bowl 51 between the Patriots and Falcons was the first ever Super Bowl to go to overtime.

35. James White of the New England Patriots set a Super Bowl record for receptions with 14 in Super Bowl 51.

36. 12 of the last 13 Super Bowl winners wore white uniforms. The one exception was Super Bowl 45 when the Packers defeated the Steelers while wearing Green and Gold.

37. The Packers (Starr, Farve, Rodgers), Giants (Simms, Hostetler, Manning), and Redskins (Theisman, Williams, Rypien) are the only franchises with 3 different Super Bowl winning quarterbacks.

38. Tom Brady became the 2nd player ever to win five Super Bowls last year.

39. The first was Hall-of-Famer Charles Haley who won two with the 49ers and three with the Cowboys.

40. Peyton Manning is the only starting quarterback to win a Super Bowls for two different franchises. The Colts (2006) and the Broncos (2015)

41. Don Beebe was the first player to participate in 6 Super Bowls, unfortunately, he went 1-5 having played for the four losing Bills team but went 1-1 with the Packers.

He is remembered in Super Bowl lore for the Leon Lett strip play in Super Bowl 27.

42. Tom Brady is the first player to start in 8 Super Bowls.

43. No team has been shut-out in the Super Bowl.

44. Super Bowl 48 between the Broncos and Seahawks is the only game in NFL history to finish with the final score of 43-8.

45. The longest run in Super Bowl history was a 75-yard touchdown by Willie Parker of the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl 40.

46. Timmy Smith of the Washington Redskins ran for a Super Bowl rushing record of 204 yards in Super Bowl 22. It was his first career start.

47. Doug Williams of the Redskins (1987) and Russell Wilson of the Seahawks (2013) are the only black starting quarterbacks to win the Super Bowl.

48. Tony Dungy of the Colts (2006) and Mike Tomlin of the Steelers (2008) are the only black head coaches to win the Super Bowl.

49. The last team to win back-to-back Super Bowls are the 2003-04 New England Patriots.

50. Jerry Rice has 8 career Super Bowl touchdown receptions in four Super Bowls played.

The closet receivers to his record have 3.

51. Steve Young of the San Francisco 49ers owns the single-game Super Bowl touchdown record with 6 in Super Bowl 29.

52. Joe Montana and Tom Brady are the only players to win Super Bowl MVP at least three times. Montana won three and Brady won four.

A picture of little Tom Brady dressed as Joe Montana