500 Words On The Importance Of Hugs

500 Words On The Importance Of Hugs

89
500 Words On The Importance Of Hugs
still wanderer

One of the weirdest things about coming to college was the sudden lack of affection. It didn’t occur to me how many times a day I would get a hug from my mom, hold my dog, cozy up to my friends while we ate at the lunch tables. Arriving on an entirely new campus, I was suddenly adrift in a sea of people I didn’t know well enough to cuddle. It took me a couple weeks to realize how strange that was, and by that time, I’d made good enough friends that I could request a goodnight hug, or a squeeze to brighten the day up. I clearly remember the first time I hugged a new friend in college. That hug was a revelation. I was like, “Oh my goodness, I miss hugs, I miss touch, I miss physical affection.”

It turns out there’s a scientific basis for that. Research shows that hugs (and laughter!!! Never forget laughter) help in fighting sickness and disease, speeds the healing of wounds, and can help those of us experiencing loneliness, depression, anxiety, and stress. Even cuddling a stuffed animal has scientific basis: “hugs and touch significantly lower our fears of mortality,” so a kid afraid of the dark, or a college student scared of the rest of her life, might need a stuffed animal to fall asleep with. Hugs instantly boost oxytocin levels, a known enemy of loneliness, isolation, and anger. Oxytocin helps us to relax, and can contribute to decreased heart rate. In hugs up to twenty seconds, researchers have seen a drop in the stress hormone cortisol. As we head into the winter months, remember that hugs can even fight the common cold, and improve immune system functions and pain tolerance. Keep yourselves healthy, but don’t be too scared to hug your loved ones! Germs are nothing in the face of a good dose of oxytocin.

My hallmates and I have family dinners every once in awhile. At one of these, we went around and gave each other compliments. I remember Nate telling Thomasina that she was one of the only people in college who wasn’t afraid to give everyone hugs, and how much he appreciated it. That struck me. People appreciate a show of affection, and physical contact doesn’t have to be weird, or presumptuous. As long as everyone involved is comfortable and has given consent, why not hug our friends, even new friends? Especially for a bunch of freshmen in a new campus environment. Hugs can increase your social connections and create a sense of belonging. According to Huffington Post, adults might be the ones who most benefit from hugs. Apparently I’m supposed to be an adult now. So I’m going to initiate hugs and cuddle parties and bask in the dopamine rush!