7 Pieces of Funny Advice for the College Student

Naps. Food. Workout Sesh. Petting the Campus Dogs. It's all good advice! I promise.

11784
Sleep Dallas

7 Thoughts for College Students

So college life is not all that you expected. Whether positively or negatively, it’s different than the image you had in mind. I didn't know what to expect when I started college as a freshmen, and even more so when I transferred to a university. So for your benefit, I want to compile a list of advice, thoughts and mostly recommendations that I’ve been given or discovered and want to share with you.

1. Sleep

First things first, let’s talk naps. We all know college students like their naps. Maybe like is an understatement. Cranky and ill… take a nap. Nothing to do? Take a nap. (Actually, if you don’t have anything to do in college, you aren’t really in college). Hanging out with friends? Take a community nap. You get the picture. But eventually running off of naps is not going to last you.

Sooner or later, you are going to look like a zombie, and not the cool kind, not the kind people watch on tv. So from one college zombie to another possible one, sleep. A good eight hour rest is better than any nap or snack. Shocking... I know.

2. Homework Block? Take a walk

You probably know these sessions well. You’ll grab a snack, your favorite drink and turn on the study lamp you never actually use. You are thinking about being studious and productive this afternoon by doing your homework. Instead, your brain defiantly remarks, “Ha! No, let’s think about everything else in the entire world besides this homework.” So what do you do? Keep working? Try to push through the brain block? My advice? Give up.

Really. Give up and take a walk. Go outside and get some fresh air. Let your mind relax and wander wherever it wants to and then go do your homework.

3. Start a Workout

I have never really worked out until I started attending the university I am at now. I had played some church league softball for exercise or walked from end one of the house to the other (mainly to take my dirty clothes to the wash, but you know), but never had a true workout session. And I fell in love when I started. Hear me out! I know some of you may already work out! I’m so proud; please keep at it! But for the ones who don’t, find some kind of exercise that gets your heart pumping hard. The difference you’ll see in your attitude and body is amazing. Don’t worry about not knowing what to do at first, just ask for some help and find something you actually enjoying doing. Running isn’t for everyone, but neither are weights. Swimming is great exercise and so is riding a bike. Just try something out.

4. Do Go Hang Out With That Friend

Your friend calls. You are in the middle of an assignment completely stressed to the max. A break would be perfect right now, but so is finishing this assignment before supper. You don't know what to do? Assignment? Hang out with friend? Maybe it's just me, but 20 years from now, I don't want to look back and think about the homework I was stressing over; I want to remember that night out with my friend. I'm not suggesting you never do your homework to instead go socialize, but I am suggesting that good fun memories aren't always made at the study desk.

5. Cook

You know that room at the end of the first floor with a stainless sink, a box that heats up food and this bigger box with coils on top. Yeah, that room? It's called a kitchen. Use it! Some of the best times you could ever have involve that room. Gather some friends around, go to Dollar General or the local grocery store and buy some food. Hopefully, the kitchen is stocked with the basics (or not always like my college), and just start cooking. IF, but not hopefully when, you burn your food and make the first floor into a hazy maze, it becomes a memory worth retelling over and over. If you do happen to make a decent spread, you and your friends get to sit around, eat a nice meal, and chill with full bellies and happy souls.

6. Pet the Campus Dogs

Okay, okay. This one might not be for you, but those furry friends running around the campus are honorary members bringing joy and slobbery kisses to anyone who would stop to say hey. Your campus might not have a dog; it might be a cat instead. But stop to give them some love, and you might find yourself smiling at the fact that you aren't rushing to class or to meet someone, but in a cliche, just stopping to smell the roses. Of course, those pups might not smell like roses or anything close, you might even have to wash your hand after, but do it anyway. You'll be glad you did.

7. Enjoy It

For two seconds after this article, stop. Don't move. Don't get up and start homework, but stop and think about your blessings. I recently had to make myself start living my life day by day instead of thinking about my schedule tomorrow and the next day and the next day. Each day has enough trouble and craziness on its own, so take the above advice and enjoy it... every single crazy, lazy, stressful, fun bit.