50 Winter Date Ideas

"Date nights are so important. In fact they are critical," psychologist and relationship expert, Melanie Schilling, told The Huffington Post Australia. Date nights are a very important part in relationships, plus they’re super fun! However, going to the movies or always going out to eat can get boring pretty quickly, so here are 50 ideas on how to change up your dates this winter, most are pretty cost-effective too. These aren’t just date ideas for boyfriends and girlfriends; they also make for great days with friends.

• Drive around and look at Christmas lights
  • Bake cookies (specifically the seasonal ones with the pictures on them)
  • Go ice skating
  • Shop for gifts together
  • Make a playlist
  • Go out for hot chocolate
  • Build a fire and roast marshmallows
  • Stay in and watch a Christmas movie
  • Decorate for the season
  • Have a game night
  • Write your goals together for the upcoming year
  • Make (and then eat) a gingerbread house
  • Go on a nature walk
  • Visit a Christmas tree farm
  • Put on some holiday music and decorate the tree
  • Have a pajama and fuzzy socks movie night
  • Make something together (some ideas are ornaments, picture frames, a scrapbook, etc.)
  • Go to a hockey game (or whatever sport is going on at the time)
  • Attend a holiday parade or festival (such as the Natchitoches Christmas Festival)
  • Have an indoor picnic
  • Go bowling
  • Visit a new town
  • Write a winter bucket list or just a bucket list in general
  • Go window shopping
  • Try on clothes that you’re never going to buy
  • Go berry picking
  • Write your New Years resolutions
  • Put up Christmas lights (or take down the ones from last year that never got put up)
  • Make your own holiday cards
  • Have a cook-off
  • Host your own themed Christmas party (Friendsmas, ugly sweater party, the possibilities are endless)
  • Take a drive and take turns choosing songs to play
  • Pick a Netflix series to watch together
  • Have a Netflix marathon
  • Visit a pottery place and make each other mugs
  • Make Christmas wish lists
  • Pretend you’re tourists in your own town (you never know what knew things you’ll discover)
  • Go to an aquarium or zoo
  • Take a trip to a museum
  • Rather than a movie, go see a play
  • It’s never too late to carve pumpkins (even if Halloween has passed)
  • Have a scavenger hunt
  • Take a carriage ride
  • Make your own dinner and eat in
  • Pick a day to go workout together
  • Take a nap and snuggle (possibly the best idea on this list)
  • Play hide and seek (you’re never too old)
  • Look at old pictures and revisit memories
  • Plan a vacation
  • Go to a movie or out to eat because sometimes that’s really the best thing to do