50 Heart Pounding Moments From 'Grey's Anatomy'

12 seasons of pain, joy and sadness.

863
Sony Channel

" Grey's Anatomy" is a medical drama television series that has been on for a full 12 seasons and is going on to their 13th and final season. It started out about a group of interns who work at a hospital called Seattle Grace Hospital, later called Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. Throughout the seasons we experience anger, sadness, and happiness. If you are a true "Grey's Anatomy" fan then I'm sure that your life is connected to these imaginary characters and their lives. With every loss they gain another friend, family member, or secret and here is a list of 50 moments from the past 12 seasons that have made us feel every emotion in the book.

WARNING: This article displays images and descriptions from every season from the show so if you are not caught up then read at your own risk of spoilers!

1. Denny dies.

Dennison Duquette was one of the very first patients, outside of the main characters, that we fell in love with and then died. He was Izzie's love of her life, who met when Denny came in for a new heart. He was in and out of the hospital until he experienced heart failure and was admitted to the hospital where Izzie became his doctor. After that, they slowly got to know each other and flirted with one another. Eventually, after several dramatic events, Denny received a new heart and in the process Izzie looses her job but gains a fiance. Unfortunately he died of a stoke following the transplant.

2. Meredith Grey is attacked.

Lou, a patient that came in, had a seizure but they were able to sedate him. Meredith sent here team after one thing or another and she ended up being left in the room alone. While typing away on the computer Lou got up behind her, sort of unconscious, and Meredith tried take make him lay back down. But, Lou was not aware of what was going on started to become aggressive and grab Meredith and throw her against the walls. She ended up having her left elbow dislocated, left knee swollen, left ribs fracture, neck bruises and swelling, collapsed lung, and a broken jaw. Once she was stabilized, the staff realized that she was unable to hear anything they said.

3. Lexie Grey dies.

A team of surgeons including Lexie Grey and Mark Sloan, were sent to Boise to separate conjoined twins. Sadly, their plane crashes on the way into the wilderness. Lexie is stuck under a piece of the plane, Mark and Cristina are able to find her and try to help her out but Lexie, being the great doctor that she is, realizes that she is suffering from a hemothorax and won't be able to survive. Cristina tries to find Meredith for Lexie, and Mark finally tells Lexie how he really feels about her. Cristina finds Meredith and brings her to Lexie but they are just a few minutes too late, Lexie is dead by the time they make it there.

4. Sloan dies.

During the plane crash, Mark didn't realize at first but a little while after Lexie died, he found out that he had internal injuries that the team tried to stabilize in the wilderness. He was able to stay alive and made it back to the hospital and was miraculously in good health, shortly after he was placed on life support and 30 days later was removed from life support and passed away.

5. Hospital gets a new name.

After the plane crash, the survivors sued the hospital which caused the hospital to go bankrupt. The survivors put their earnings together and purchase the hospital along with Callie and Jackson's mother. As the new members of the board, the decide to change the image of the hospital starting with the name. As an honor to those who died during the plane crash, they rename the hospital Gray Sloan Memorial Hospital.

6. Burke leaves Cristina at their wedding.

After realizing that Preston loved Cristina so much that he couldn't force her to do something that she didn't want to do. So before Cristina walked at the wedding, he stopped her and ended the wedding.

7. Derek dies.

After saving the lives of several people who got into a car accident in the middle of no where, he too gets into a wreck with a truck when he turns around to go home. He is sent to the same hospital that received the patients that he saved on the side of the road. Unfortunately he was sent to a nearby hospital that was not designed for these types of patients, they did not properly take care of him and skip a step which lead to him going brain dead.

8. John Doe is 007.

After signing up to join the army as a trauma surgeant, he goes to leave his friends behind. But, he risks his life and throws himself in front of a bus to save a strangers life. The bus drags his body for such a long period of time, not realizing that George is there, to the point that he is unrecognizable. He is sent to Seattle grace hospital where they try to save his life, but they speak to him as a stranger and call him John Doe due to his appearance they are unaware that it is their friend. Eventually, right before he goes into surgery, he uses his finger to write the numbers 0-0-7 in her hand. Meaning 007, which was George's nickname when he almost killed a patient. which stands for "licence to kill". But, they were unable to save his life during surgery.

9. Meredith drowns.

Certain members of the team are sent on a emergency call to a site where a boat has crashed. The team members are scattered around to help where they can. Meredith finds a patient that climbs out of the water and over the side of a ledge, she starts trying to save his life while baby sitting a little girl whose parents are missing. Meredith is knocked into the water after trying to help the patient. She starts to swim, but chooses to quit and slowly sinks.

10. Derek is shot.

Derek Shepard is shot by Gary Clark, a man whose wife was removed from life support. Gary Clark purchased a gun from a supermarket with plans to kill Lexie Grey, Derek Shepard, and Richard Webber since they were the doctors who pulled his wife off life support because she had a DNR. Once Derek was shot, Cristina, Meredith, and April take him to the OR to try to save his life.

11. Meredith on morphine.

Meredith comes to work not feeling to well, she starts throwing up blaming it on the fact that she needs to choose between McVet and McDreamy. Then she throws up a few more times and Cristina loudly asks Meredith if shes pregnant right in front of the hospital including Derek and Addison. It later turns out that she is not pregnant but needs her appendix removed. While she is admitted to the hospital she receives morphine which makes her kind of loopy. She has an interesting conversation with Addison Montgomery, calls Bailey pretty, and opens up to McVet about having sex with George.

12. When Derek walked in on Addison and Sloan (again).

Derek goes to Addison's hotel room to apologize to her about failing their marriage, and that he was officially leaving her and getting a divorce so he could be with Meredith. But after he apologizes Mark Sloan, his ex-best friend and the man Addison cheated on him with, walks out of the bathroom with nothing on but a towel.

13. The severed penis.

A patient comes in who was badly beaten and raped, when she goes into surgery they find an object in her body that turns out to be a piece of the rapists penis that she bit off. Since it was Meredith who found the body part it is now her job to babysit the severed penis until the police arrive. The man who raped the Jane Doe eventually comes to the hospital bleeding to death, they save his life and he is arrested.

14. Meredith and Viper.

Viper was part of the dead baby bike race and was admitted for having spikes in his abdomen.Alex ignorantly pulls them out without getting a CT first to make sure they didn't puncture anything. Meredith patches him up and Viper leaves without consent. But before doing so he grabs Meredith and kisses her. He later returns do to his injury getting worse.

15. Bailey gives birth.

Bailey returns to the hospital after her interns have chased away several residents so she could yell at them. But, her water breaks, on George's shoes, and she is shorty admitted to the hospital. Her husband was on his way to the hospital and got into a car wreck and was brought to the hospital and is sent to have brain surgery. At the same time as the brain surgery, and the birth of Bailey's baby, their is a code black due to a bomb in a body cavity. Once Bailey finds out about her husbands condition, she refuses to push which puts both her and her baby at risk. George eventually talks baby into pushing and saves both of theirs lives. Bailey then names her newborn son after George.

16. When Mama Burke took Yang's eyebrows.

The day of the wedding, Mama Burke decided to wax Cristina's eyebrows off for the ceremony. Cristina then freaks out and goes to the hospital crying and freaking out and demanding to have something to cut.

17. Addison in salmon scrubs.

When Addison first arrives to Seattle Grace Hospital, she wears salmon colored scrubs used for pediatrics.

18. Alex got shot.

During the mass shooting Alex is shot by Gary Clark. He was able to crawl into an elevator but is unable to push a button to go anywhere. Lexie Grey and Mark Sloan, on a different floor of the hospital, run away from the shooter and try to get on the elevator to get away but discover Alex's body. They take his body to a conference room to try to help him.

19. George and Izzie died together.

While George was in surgery, Izzie was getting out of surgery where the both die at the same time. In this brief few minutes, they were both dead at the same time and as a ghost, they both met in the hospital. George was unable to be resuscitated and Izzie was.

20. Meredith's panic attack.

After Meredith was attack by Lou, she had to go multiple surgeries and weeks of bed rest. She finally is able to see her babies but due to the scary wired jaw, sliced neck, casts, and tubes, they are too scared to go up to her. This causes Meredith to freak out and have a panic attack, which makes Penny cut her wires so Meredith could breath.

21. Strangers impaled.

A train crashes killing, amputating, and stabbing hundreds of people. In this episode we meet two strangers who are stuck together with a pole going through their bodies. They can't move the pole or either person or they will start bleeding out. After tough decisions and multiple scans, the decision is made to move Bonnie from the pole first. They start operating on her first but they loose her and it was too late to do anymore for her.

22. Meredith meets Addison.

Meredith and Derek are finally a couple and it's out in the open. But Richard, unapproved of their relationship, calls Derek's wife Addison and informs her of the story.

23. Dylan explodes.

The same time that Bailey is in labor, and Bailey's husband is in brain surgery, a man comes in that was shot. Before they start cutting they were informed that it was a homemade bazooka that has not gone off yet. After several terrifying hours, Meredith is able to remove the bomb from the body and hands it to Dylan, who is the leader of the bomb squad. On his way out of the OR, the device exploded in his hands and there was nothing left of him.

24. Hunt-Shepherd Wedding.

After being off and on, and without any family members there, Amelia Shepherd and Owen Hunt get married. At the exact same time, April is having an emergency c-section at Meredith's house.

25. Meredith holds Cristina after Burke leaves without a word.

After Burke called of the wedding, he went home and collected his belongings. When Cristina raced home she found barely anything left of his. At this point, she realized that he was actually gone for good, that he left her. Meredith holds Cristina as she falls apart and tears off her wedding dress.

26. April has an emergency c-section.

April forget the wedding rings for Amelia and Owen's wedding so she grabbed Ben and made him take her to Meredith's house for the rings. But when they get there, the storm is getting bad and she goes into labor. They plain on having the baby there because they wouldn't make it to the hospital in time, and at least at the house there's heat and electricity. But, they soon realize that the baby is breached and that April needs an emergency c-section or the baby will die. So without any sterile equipment or pain medication, Ben cuts April open to save her baby.

27. Alex saving a life with no shirt.

Alex was starting to give him on saving the life of a preemie baby, there was nothing left he could do so he picked the baby up and held him to die in his arms. But miraculously, the baby's heart rate starts to go up. Bailey said that the type of hold he was doing is called the kangaroo hold and is known to help preemie's. She then made him remove his shirt because the kangaroo hold is known to work better if it was skin to skin.

28. Jackson and April run away together.

April and Matthew Taylor were planning on getting married. They had everything put together and got all the way down the aisle. But, at the last minute, Jackson Avery announces his love to April during the ceremony and they run away together and get married.

29. Callie and Arizona's car wreck.

Arizona and Callie go on a trip, within the first ten minutes they already get into a fight about Callie texting Mark. Arizona out of no where proposes to Callie. But, Arizona was not paying attention to the road and rammed into a truck throwing pregnant Callie out of the window.

30. Meet the Nazi.

It's their very first day as an intern at Seattle Grace Hospital and they are all getting prepared to meet their resident. Meredith, Cristina, Izzie, George, and Alex are all assigned to "The Nazi". The all have different opinions about their future resident but they were not prepared the so called Nazi to be 5 feet tall and a black woman.

31. Arizona's new leg.

"She's wearing high-heels! Because she has a sexy high-heeled leg that makes her ass go.. Pow! - Callie

32. Meredith builds a house of lights for Derek.

Meredith and Derek have a successful case from their study and are running around town trying to find each other. Meredith is on Derek's property and made a blue print of their future house out of lights.

33. Owen to the rescue.

Major Hunt appears one day with a patient in an ambulance where he had to do tracheotomy with a pen. Cristina automatically has the hots for him. He once again appears when Cristina falls on black ice and a icicle falls and stabs her in the abdomen. He picks her up and takes her to the ER.

34. Welcome back Katie.

Katie Bryce was Meredith and Derek's very first patient together.

35. That awkward moment when...

Derek gets on the elevator along with his ex-wife, ex-girlfriend, current girlfriend, and ex-best friend.

36. Nick Hanscom's artery blows.

Nick Hanscom has a exposed artery after having a tumor resected from his neck. He is under 24 hour surveillance and all the doctors are informed on how to take care of Nick if his artery were to blow. Which happened after him and Lexie were exchanging a few laughs. Nick went into surgery but did not survive.

37. Alex and Izzie get married.

Izzie being sick with cancer with only a 5% chance of surviving, she is given the opportunity to plan Meredith and Derek's wedding. But in the end, Meredith and Derek give their wedding to Izzie and Alex and it was perfect.

38. Cristina's breaking point.

After having an ectopic pregnancy, she loses her baby and the Fallopian tube. She acts like it doesn't matter at all until she was right about a patient and starts to break down and can't stop crying until Burke comes and holds her.

39. Pick me, choose me, love me.

Meredith expresses her love for Derek and wants a fighting chance. She tells him to pick her instead of Addison.

40. Mark has a daughter!

Mark Sloan was working on a patient when a young blonde name Sloan Riley walks in and blurts out that she is his daughter. Not only is she his daughter but she is also pregnant and her mom kicked her out. She lives with Sloan and Lexie for a while until he leaves without a word. She later reappears giving birth in the hallway of their apartment.

41. When medicated Meredith ran into McSteamy.

Back to when Meredith had to get her appendix removed, she was on her way to surgery when she ran into McSteamy and embarrassed herself again.

42. When Maggie punched a homophobic woman.

Two young girls arrive at the hospital after standing in front of a train. They were trying to commit suicide together so they could be together forever because one girls parents were going to ship her off to a camp to make her straight. The homophobic mom shows up and calls the camp to pick up her daughter from the hospital. The mom gets into the doctors faces and Maggie punches the homophobic mom.

43. Awkward sleepovers.

A documentary crew comes to the hospital six months after the mass shooting to tape the recovery of the doctor's who were there that day.

44. A joke only the two would appreciate.

Owen Hunt wants the doctors to have better teamwork so he creates a baseball team. But the Meredith and Cristina are not interested in the game but in their research.

45. When Meredith need a substitute Cristina.

Meredith didn't have Cristina, and George didn't have Izzie, so they both pretended to be each other's person for a few minutes so they could talk out their problems and it was absolutely hilarious.

46. When Sloan flirted with Meredith.

This was the very first episode which Mark appeared on, as soon as he entered the hospital he ran into Meredith, and not knowing who she was, started to flirt with her within Derek's eyesight. Derek then ran up to him and punched him in the face.

47. The dirty mistresses club rules.

Mark and Meredith have to work together and try to be friends so Meredith tries to explain a few rules so Mark doesn't cross any line, but he does not understand that.

48. When George needed medicine to cure his Syphilis.

George caught Syphilis from a nurse who got it from Alex, and when Alex was helping George out by giving him his medicine they were interrupted. Meredith, Izzie, and Cristina all come in and take Alex's place and help cure George's Syphilis. But they all joke around with him saying he has a cute butt, and that they almost made him cry.

49. When Bailey ended the boycott.

After sleeping with everyone woman with a pulse, All the nurses boycotted his surgeries so he couldn't do anything. He had Bailey talk to the nurses and her talk was very interesting, but it worked.

50. When Callie asked them a personal question.

This happened before Callie knew she was bisexual. People thought her and Hahn were a couple so Callie wanted advise.