18 Moments of Grey’s Anatomy That Nearly Stopped Our Hearts

It will never be enough to make you stop watching.

75
Tumblr

After 12 seasons, some would imagine that Grey's Anatomywould have plateaued. I THINK NOT. Shonda Rhimes can do no wrong. Episode after episode, she makes her viewers feel so deeply attached to the show and its characters that it is simply impossible to turn away. Extreme fans and Netflix binge-watchers would agree, and may even think they are basically surgeons after a season or two. PUSH ONE OF EPI. START COMPRESSIONS. CLEAR! You get my point. Throughout the last 12 seasons, there have been several heart-stopping, gasp-worthy moments. Here are a few that may have had you nearly flat line...

Dr. Addison Shepherd showing up

"Hi, I'm Addison Shepherd... and you must be the woman who's been screwing my husband."

Denny Duqette dying

Just an hour after proposing to Izzie, too.

Derek choosing Addison

All Meredith wanted was him to fight for her. Come on, bro.

Burke leaving Christina

And after everything she did for him, especially those eyebrows. This was a heart-breaking moment and one of the only times viewers see Cristina express her emotions.

Ellis Grey's final words

Ouch, Ellis.

The post-it

FINALLY, Meredith and Derek are a match made in heaven.

George O'Malley

OO7. If this death did not nearly crush you, I do not think you are a true fan...or have a heart for that matter. This entire episode gave me the chills. It was no surprise that O'Malley died protecting a total stranger.

Cristina and Owen

What a beautiful rollercoaster of a relationship. How they met, their love story, the things the went through, and the bitter end.

Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital shooting

This episode was, by far, the most dramatic at the time it aired. Granted crazy things had happened at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital, but not like this.This event shaped a lot of the character's personalities and brought issues later on.

Callie and Arizona's car accident

Other big oh my Godmoment in Grey's Anatomy history. Arizona proposes and then BAM... truck ahead.

Zola getting taken away

After falling in love with a gorgeous baby from Africa, Derek and Meredith adopted Zola. But with their relationship on the rocks and Meredith's recent job termination, Zola was taken away from them. *Tears*

THE plane crash

THE EPISODE. The one you thought could not be topped. Shonda had done it, she had officially broken all our hearts. Little did we know that not only would the plane crash, two MAIN CHARACTERS would die. Really? Mark and Lexi were in love.

Adele Webber dying

This tragic news came the night of Miranda Bailey's wedding, but the Chief admirably kept it to himself to spare her on her wedding day. Meredith did come to his comfort, though. *More tears*

Jackson's confession

This was one of my all-time favorite moments. It was so incredibly romantic and shocking. You go, Jackson.

Cristina leaving

It was like half of my heart was ripped out when Meredith's person left Seattle. But don't you worry, she came back for one last thirty-second dance party.

Jackson and April’s baby

Jackson stopped April's wedding, they eloped, and were truly happy. April even found out she was going to have a baby, but he had a fatal condition and was not expected to live long. They named him Samuel Norbert Avery.

Derek Shepherd dying

Not much to say other than why??? He was saving the lives of others!!! He was the second largest character on the show and husband to the first. He was a father. A neuro-god. He was freaking McDreamy. Freaking McDreamy!!!! This episode made me cry a river and got me pretty heated with Shonda Rhimes.

Meredith (almost) dying

No disappointment with this season's midseason premiere; Meredith almost died. This episode was a cry-feast, heart attack combo in the making. And I almost peed my pants. Really Shonda, you have got to quit doing this to me.

After everything, the good, bad, and really nasty medical stuff, there is no way could I stop watching. It is just too good now. I have to know how everything ends.