5 Ways to Stay Comfortable While Pregnant

Pregnancy is beautiful and exciting and life changing.

6

.

Pregnancy is beautiful and exciting and life changing. Few people will disagree with that. But it’s also not always the most comfortable experience, especially as you approach your due date; very few people will disagree with that. The stress on your body will likely be unprecedented and hard to fully understand until you’re experiencing it, so it’s nearly impossible to know what exactly your needs will be when it comes to staying comfortable while pregnant.

That said, millions of women before us have been pregnant and have shared their experiences to help women in the future have the most comfortable pregnancy possible. Add to that the multi-million dollar pregnancy product market with products like hands-free pregnancy shoes and itch-relieving belly cream, and it’s safe to say pregnant women today are a lot better off in the comfort department than those 50 were years ago. Here are a few tips and products you might want to be aware of as you begin your pregnancy journey. It’s a long road ahead, but with these ideas, you can avoid some of the bumps as your own bump grows.

1. Use a Pregnancy Pillow for Better Sleep

As you can probably imagine, sleeping with a large bump protruding from the front of your body isn’t the most comfortable - especially when that bump contains a precious little human. As your body changes, you’ll find that sleeping in your usual pre-pregnancy positions will become nearly impossible. But a pregnancy pillow can help. These pillows are specifically designed for pregnant women. They’ll hug the contours of your ever-changing body, providing much-needed support for your back and hips. They’re also much larger than just your average pillow and come in different shapes for different levels of support.

2. Get Yourself the Best Pregnancy Shoes

As your bump gets bigger, your ability to bend over will be hindered, and as you can imagine, putting on a pair of shoes will become a dreaded part of your day. If you’re still working, you simply can’t wear slippers all the time. The good news? Hands-free pregnancy shoes exist, and they’re legitimately hands-free. These pregnancy shoes are designed to be slipped on, unlike all those other shoes that you’ve likely ruined the backs of by slipping them on over the years. The back of these pregnancy shoes are sturdy and the shoes are ready to be stepped into, and if you step on the back of the shoe while sliding them on, that part bounces right back up rather than losing its structure for good. And since they’re designed for pregnant women, these shoes are breathable, comfortable, and supportive, even for women whose feet are beginning to swell. Trust us, these pregnancy shoes are a must. And between sneakers, streetwear, and business casual, there’s a pair for every occasion.

3. Maternity Clothes Save the Day

Two words: maternity leggings. Maternity dresses. Maternity pants. Maternity clothes will be a lifesaver, and it’s important to have a small wardrobe of them to get you through your pregnancy. Over-the-belly maternity leggings are one of the most popular maternity clothing items, and for a reason. They quite literally pull all the way up over your baby bump, leaving you feeling supported and comfortable, and their stretchy material allows you to wear them at any phase during and after your pregnancy as your body changes. But it doesn’t end with leggings; you can find maternity clothes for any occasion, from flattering shirts to loose-fitting long dresses, so you can still have an evening out on the town in a cute outfit while also feeling comfortable in your new and ever-changing body. Don’t skip out on the maternity clothes; trust us.

4. Get a Pregnancy Support Band

Pregnancy brings a whole new kind of growing pains, and as your baby bump grows, the discomfort may as well. It’s very common for women to experience sharp pains at or around 14 weeks of pregnancy as the uterus expands, and the new weight and mass in your stomach can cause back and pelvis pain. But rest assured, when that time comes, pregnancy support bands are here to help. This band will go under and around your baby bump, wrapping around your back to take some of the pressure off as your body works to support the weight. It’s a small and simple device, but it’ll make a big difference when those pains start occurring.

5. Utilize Stretch Mark Cream

As we all know, many women get stretch marks when they’re pregnant. But talked about much less is the discomfort those stretch marks can cause. As your baby bump grows, skin all over your body may stretch to cover this new increased surface area, and stretching skin can often become dry and itchy, causing more discomfort than many people would expect. Stretch mark cream, often called belly butter, might just be your saving grace. These creams will moisturize your stretching, itchy skin, helping you stay comfortable during pregnancy as your body stretches, changes, and expands. Many women also use stretch mark creams before the stretch marks have formed, or at least before they’ve gotten to the point of discomfort, as some swear by the cream as a way to prevent stretch marks from forming (though whether they’re actually effective for this use is still up in the air). Either way, you can never be too moisturized, and having stretch mark cream on hand is a great way to prepare and nourish your skin before, during, and after pregnancy, for some soothing itch and dry skin relief.

Conclusion

With the amount of physical change happening to your body during and after pregnancy, it’s easy to imagine there’s going to be some discomfort along with it. And even when it’s not downright uncomfortable, simply adjusting to the new size and shape of your body is enough to need a little help. These products are just a few examples of what’s out there on the market to help women have the best experience possible with their pregnancy. So be proactive and test a few out, because when the time comes that you need them, you’ll be grateful to already have them on hand.