5 Ways My Boyfriend Has Undeniably Made Me A Better Human, Inside And Out

That's the thing with high school sweethearts, we grow and learn with one another.

499
My photo

I know what you're thinking. You've seen posts like this before, but I'm being serious when I say that my boyfriend has undeniably made me a better person. After a few years of dating, some couples get accustomed to doing the same routine, say the same things, and sometimes fall into not the most pleasant of habits.

For my relationship, as a couple, my boyfriend and I strive to make life exciting together, grow together and learn. Learning from one another is how I've shaped into an overall better human. These 5 reasons are a mere glimpse of how my boyfriend has made me more wonderful as a person... I mean it.

1. Patience, patience, patience.

I'm confident when I say my boyfriend is one of the most patient men I know. He's kind-hearted, soft-spoken (for the most part), and is always happy to be around people. I, on the other hand, am loud, rowdy, burst of energy and I can admit sometimes I will let my temper get the best of me. Opposites attract, right? He's seen me on the worst days and the ugliest of all sides of me. With my temper, he has given me patience in return. He's taught me how to use my words softly rather than cramming all my feeling inside till I burst. I have learned to address an issue civilly as an adult, and for patience alone, I couldn't thank him enough for showing me that patience truly is key in any situation.

2. Living my best life, day-to-day.

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a planner. I love planning ahead for days, weeks, and sometimes I can even plan for months ahead. My boyfriend, on the other hand, wakes up and decides how his day will go and what he'll accomplish organically. He makes no plans; he is the plan. I have always stressed about days ahead of the one I'm living right now and he's taught me over time that it's OK to not have a plan. He's proven that you can still be productive without making a schedule to follow, which is how I've become less stressed and learned to enjoy the moment rather than worrying ahead of time.

3. You don't need money to have fun.

I know this concept maybe be easy to grasp for some people, but hear me out. I'm an extremely hard working person and I work hard for my money, as many others do. Sometimes I want to go to a movie, maybe dinner, or something else fun and out of the ordinary. Then comes paying bills, grocery shopping, and other necessities and then there's no money for fun and that used to bring me down. My boyfriend, though, always keeps things fun and brightens up the night. Between making dinner together as a team, playing mindless board games, watching our new series of a show on Netflix together, who needs money to have fun now? I have learned that you don't need money for fun, the people around you are the fun, thanks to my boyfriend.

4. I'm a beautiful human.

Have you ever been amazed at the way a certain person looks at you? I haven't until I met my boyfriend. I mean, this guy looks at me like I'm a supermodel or a literal angel from heaven. As flattering as that is, I'm not the first person to handle compliments well by any means. My boyfriend has taught me that I am beautiful and to accept when he says it or if others compliment me. This may sound silly, but I know I'm not alone at the fact that I handle compliments horribly. Although, over time, I have gotten better at accepting compliments and truly know that I'm beautiful. I think a lot of women who don't believe or take compliments well needs someone to tell them they are... because it's true.

5. Insecurities are personal, not everyone sees what you see in yourself.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say everyone has insecurities about themselves. Although this is common and perfectly normal, it can bring people down at times. My boyfriend has proven and taught me that just because you personally notice your insecurities, it isn't usually reciprocated by others. Insecurities are in fact personal and I have learned through my boyfriend to focus on qualities or physical features about myself that I love. Not only has this allowed me to be happier and more confident, but it's allowed me to not even worry about negativity and insecurities I used to have. The only thing these insecurities do for a person is bring them down emotionally and blinds them from their true beauty.

Thank you, boyfriend, for seeing the beauty inside and out and making me better because of it.