The 5 Types Of People Who Watch The Olympics

Millions watching, but they all react in five common ways.

652
Fusion

The 2016 Summer Olympics are in full swing in Rio de Janeiro, and we’ve already seen some epic athletic performances as medals are being won left and right. Millions are watching, all with their own perspective and opinions on the Games. Most people watching are one of these five types.

1. Aspiring or former Olympians

Children and early teenagers’ eyes are glued to the TV screen, watching in awe as their Olympic heroes dominate in whatever sport they’re currently training in. They are motivated knowing it could be them one day. Former athletes who may have missed their chance watch with sad, salty eyes, wondering what could’ve been had they never gotten hurt or quit practicing (just kidding). And, of course, we have the former Olympians themselves, who are tweeting about the Games to show support for the new talent who have taken their places and/or weigh in on whatever controversy pops up that day.

2. Non-sports fans who suddenly become sports fans

You know they don’t really watch sports. Even the Super Bowl bores them. But every four years when the Games come around, they soon become the biggest fans of swimming, gymnastics, or a multitude of events. It doesn’t last though. By the end of the year they’ve forgotten everything they’ve seen beyond the main highlights – after all, the only athletes they can name off the top of their head are the ones competing in whichever event is on. But four years later the Games return and the cycle begins again. These people are also likely to be seen during the World Cup.

3. Casual viewers who are reminded of how out of shape they are

This mainly happens with women, especially when they’re watching gymnastics. Maybe they’re waiting for their favorite show to come on, or they may just have nothing better to do. Whatever their reason for tuning in, seeing these great athletes perform the way they do often make people question their life choices. Phrases uttered include, “I could never do that,” “I really need to start working out again” and “Wow, these guys are doing all this crazy stuff and I’m sitting on my ass eating Cheetos” (as they shovel more Cheetos into their mouth). Will they start working out? Probably not.

4. Social media scrollers who only see replays as the winning athlete’s name starts trending

Probably the majority of Olympics viewers – or at least, that’s as close to Olympics viewers as they’ll be. Many people aren’t home or are too tired to stay up and watch the Olympics because they have work, so they settle for the brief replays and highlights shared by NBC (spoiling the results for angry west coast viewers) based on who is currently trending as a result of their gold medal win. A clip of a gymnastics routine here, highlights from the beach volleyball match there – not much, but better than nothing. No point in waiting since you'll just find out who won anyway (thanks, NBC).

5. Bored people who are forced to watch with their sports-loving friends

Someone’s probably throwing an Olympics viewing party because a friend of a friend’s cousin is competing. You and the person next to you may not care that much, but you’re surrounded by your slightly overzealous friends as they excitedly cheer on Team USA (who may not even be racing in that particular heat). Seriously, when did they become so patriotic? You haven’t seen them this hyped up since the Fourth of July – or even the previous Olympics. Nonetheless, you dismiss them as being their fun, goofy selves as you grab another slice of pizza. If only you could get into it too.

Regardless of how each person is viewing the Games, they’re bringing everyone together, at the very least being a solid conversation topic. Even if you don’t watch the Olympics, knowing that they’re on right now can make the days feel less ordinary. After all, they only come every four years (well, two if you count the Winter Olympics, but still).

Are you watching the Olympics right now? If so, which one of these types are you? Answer in the comments!