5 Truths You Know If Your Friend Goes To College Across The Country

You're a thousand miles apart but still a part of each other's lives.

34
Twitter

Going to college is an incredible part of our lives. It's where we learn more about ourselves and have amazing experiences. Yet, for some of us, our best friends from high school are across the country attending school. They abandoned you, or maybe you abandoned them. Regardless, you two aren't able to hang out constantly anymore and it sucks. Here are five things you know to be true when your friend attends school all the way across the country.

1. You miss them like crazy

With the huge amount of distance between you two, there's no more laying in their bed chatting about the most random topics or visiting them at work where they give you free chocolate covered espresso beans. Instead, in order to keep the friendship alive, you have to resort to phone calls, texting, Snapchatting, tagging each other in memes, and, that is if your schedules somehow line up, Skyping. It makes you wonder how people stayed friends before social media and smartphones existed.

2. Skype nights are everything

Whether it's once a week or once a month, those nights where you get to Skype with your best friend are always a blast. Catching up on all the roommate drama or stressful homework assignments is the highlight of your entire week. There's just something about actually seeing them that can't compare to Snapchat or texting. But even when Skyping doesn't work out, you still text them almost every single day.

3. Figuring out when you can take a trip to visit them

Trying to plan ahead to save money as a college student is difficult, but it is so worth it to be able to visit them at their school and meet all their friends they've told you so much about. Plus, when you visit your friend you can stay with them instead of in some cheap, sketchy hotel near their campus. Less money spent and more time with your friend; it's a win-win.

4. You count down the days until you see them again

Time seems to slow down the closer the reunion gets. If only you could hop into the TARDIS and travel to when you finally get to be with your friend again. Since you can't get your hands on one, you're stuck crossing the days off your calendar until you're together again.

5. When you're together again, it's like you were never apart

That moment when you run towards your best friend after not seeing them for several months and tackle hug them is better than any rom-com reunion scene. Then, just like that, you and your friend are back into the swing of things and talking as if you had never spent a single day apart.

While it may be tough to be apart for long periods of time, in the end you're both pursuing what makes you happy in places you thrive and that's what's important. You can live thousands of miles apart but still be a part of each other's lives. So, while you don't see your friend often, the distance hasn't even made a dent in your friendship.