11 Ways To Have A Long Distance Date

11 Ways To Have A Long Distance Date

"What matters is spending time with the one person you love whenever the opportunity arises to create amazing memories with what you have."

287
11 Ways To Have A Long Distance Date

Dating long distance has its challenges: you don’t get to see each other ever day, do fun things together, or go out on dates. It’s hard to stay connected hundreds of miles away and it hurts watching couples spend time together when you’re forced to text instead of physically being together.

Long distance relationships have a bright side, however. Instead of going out on a date and being distracted by nonsense, long distance relationship couples have a chance to focus on the actual relationship. It allows for creativity to flow and different experiences to be had which brings out the uniqueness in its memories. My boyfriend and I have found out that those unique experiences have brought us closer. We may call dates, "dates" that normally wouldn't be, but it's how we connect. Here are a few ways that we've found that make the best memories on our dates.

1. Watch the same television show

Simply turn on the television and watch shows together while you Skype. It’s a fun way to laugh and talk about crazy characters.

2. Watch movies on Netflix

Find a movie, press play at the same time and eat popcorn while you watch. It’s exactly like you’re at the movie theater, except you can talk without getting in trouble.

3. Play online games

There are so many games to play on Facebook, Google or ones that you buy. Its like playing board games, but online while Skyping. You’re still together making memories and trying to win.

4. Work on homework or study

Sometimes doing homework alone is boring. Sometimes you can’t really talk while you are studying. So, just Skype and have a study date: quiz one another, work through tough homework questions or sit in silence as you read.

5. Eat dinner together

Sometimes it gets lonely when you see other couples eating dinner together or going out to those expensive restaurants every weekend. No one said you couldn’t have dinner together wherever you are and call on Skype. Sometimes, those are the greatest types of dinner dates because you’re secluded with no distractions.

6. Sleepover on Skype

Couples love sleepovers. When you’re in a relationship, you expect to be able to lay down every night and look at the one you love. In long distance relationships, that doesn’t happen as often as you’d like. Have a Skype date where you get ready for bed and fall asleep listening to your soulmate. You’re finally together.

7. Scroll through social media

We all need those lazy days to sit with our boyfriend and do nothing. Long distance relationships need those days too. It’s relaxing to Skype your boyfriend, scroll through social media and laugh about crazy articles or posts you find. If there’s nothing to say, it’s perfect to just sit and enjoy each others company in a comfortable silence.

8. Take walks around campus or the neighborhood

It's OK to miss the old days where you walk around, hand in hand, with your boyfriend around campus or the neighborhood. No one said that you can't Skype him and still do that. Enjoy the weather and walking around with your boo.

9. Learn something new

Doing new things is always exciting. Doing new things with your long distance boyfriend is even better. It's not impossible to make memories and have fun learning something over Skype. Just find something and do it.

10. Talk all night long

Sitting in your room texting your boyfriend can be lonely. So, call him on Skype and talk as though he were there with you. Talk as long as you possibly can about everything happening in life: update him on friends, family, school or even talk about politics.

11. Play video games

Guys love video games. They love it even more when their girlfriends play with them or watch them play. It’s a win-win: he doesn’t have to worry about messaging back and you don’t have to sit around waiting to hear from him. You're still with each other even if you're not exactly doing the same thing, but it's like you're spending the day together like any other couple would.

Long distance dates are only fun if you realize that it doesn't matter if you're side-by-side or out at an expensive restaurant on date night. It'll only be fun if you use what you have to make the best of the situation you're in. No, staring at a screen for hours isn't fun when you could be out around town together, but it's more important to make memories with the love of your life. What matters is spending time with your soulmate whenever the opportunity arises to create amazing memories with what you have.