5 Things you can do to put yourself in a Healthier Mindset

What and how you eat starts in your head.

4

Eating right and staying healthy can be the most difficult part of your day, especially when you stay busy. Here is a quick list I compiled to make it a little easier for your brain to handle. And trust me, I am most definitely a foodie and appreciate most food I can sink my teeth in. It's not an all-inclusive list and I am always open to new ideas and options of course!

1. Getting a better nights rest.

I know this can be extremely difficult, especially when you're in school or just starting out in your career. But it's important. Sometimes your body makes you think you're hungry when you're really just tired. It looks for a quick fix by requesting more glucose in your bloodstream which food can provide. Basically, your body looks for that extra energy via food. Which can be detrimental when you're trying to watch how and what you eat. #dontbehangry

2. Exercising.

While this may seem like a misnomer, exercise has surprisingly extra added benefits than some people realize. It gives you that added boost of energy and can kickstart your metabolism. Also, when you work out first thing in the morning, you can burn more calories throughout the day. Instead of reaching for that energy drink or cookie to get you going, hit up the treadmill or the weights.

3. Take yourself away from temptation and look for alternatives.

This can be extremely difficult when you can not control your environment. Cue coworkers bringing in cupcakes or donuts, or roommates cooking up brownies. The best way to handle situations like these are obviously avoiding them. When this is impossible, find ways to distract yourself. Bring yummy healthy snacks as alternatives, such as strawberries and carrots. It won't taste the same, but you'll feel a ton better later on. Also, rid your cabinets and kitchen of all things sweet and unhealthy to resist temptation. If you have to drive yourself to the store or a fast food place to fix up that sweet tooth, you won't be nearly as tempted. Can you say #nomoresugarcomas?

4. Think before you eat.

This may seem strange at first, but thinking before you buy or eat certain foods can really make you change your mind. It is all a state of mind. If you tell yourself enough that you really don't need that cookie dough or that ice cream in your shopping cart, you can ultimately stop your cravings. It's difficult, believe me. But if I tell myself enough how much I will regret it and how hard I'm going to have to work out to rid myself of it, I am way less tempted to go for it. I work hard to maintain my workout regime and keep my muscles toned and I don't need bad foods to keep me from meeting my goals. Also, health is a huge benefactor to this. Think about your teeth and your overall wellbeing. Every time you bite into a sugar donut or cookie, you're not doing your teeth, gum, or heart any favors. The sugar is terrible for your gums and can cause gum disease later on and your heart has to work a little harder to rid your body of extra sugar in your system.

5. Treat yourself every once in awhile.

Since it is mostly in your head, your diet is very dependent on your overall mental wellbeing. If you're constantly stressed or feeling down, it can make your diet make a turn for the worst on a constant basis. One thing that can help is treating yourself every once in awhile. I know I just wrote about thinking before you eat and not buying bad things, but if you treat yourself every once in awhile as a reward for yourself, it can change your whole mindset. It's no longer commonplace for you to eat badly, so when you do, it's a total treat. I like to treat myself to a glass of wine after a stressful day, or when I've just had a great week full of eating right or working out. Keep up the hard work and don't forget to #Treatyoself!