5 Things I Wish I Knew During My Childhood

People can come and go but my sister is always there for me.

As I am sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to Atlanta, I began to think about my childhood and all the laughs, good times, and memories I had. I had a wonderful childhood filled with supportive family and friends. However, there are some things I wish I had known that would make it even better.

1. Change does not always have to be bad

During my childhood, there were plenty of ups and downs. Going on annual family vacations and celebrating milestones with my closest friends are some of the best times I've had. Moving across the country and changing schools three times are just some obstacles I overcame.

I never liked change. I always wished that things would stay the same. As I grew older, I realized that change means new people and new experiences. Change is what makes life interesting. I began to open up and started to embrace change. Instead of letting fear take over, I can finally face changes with confidence. Without switching schools, I would have never met my closest friends or became the person that I am today.

2. Your siblings are your best friends

People can come and go but my sister is always there for me. Even though we argue and fight all the time, in the end, we are each other's best friends. Whenever I need advice, she is a good listener and always provides insight. I can rely on her for anything. I wish we spent less time fighting and more time getting along.

3. Your parents are always right

This is definitely my biggest regret. It always takes me so long to realize that they are right about everything. I always try to disagree with them, but overtime, I've finally discovered that they know me better than I know myself, and know what is best for me. If I had listened to them the first time, I would not have wasted so much time and energy.

4. School is not the most important thing

Growing up, my parents always emphasized academics. They wanted me to take full advantage of every educational opportunity. During high school, I realized that being a well-rounded person is equally as important as school. It is valuable to learn skills such as being a good public speaker, how to play sports, and how to give back to the community.

5. Try not to get caught up in the stress

It is so hard to avoid and manage stress. Many times in my childhood, I felt overwhelmed by the stress and let it take over. Releasing stress by hitting the gym or writing is so critical. In hindsight, I realized that learning how to deal with stress is the key to success.

These five skills are so easy to forget. It is super important to keep these mind. If I had known these, I would be much more relaxed and learn how to make the most of my childhood. Lastly, I want to say that your childhood does not last forever. Cherish every last moment! Here's to growing up.