5 Things To Ask Yourself When Setting A New Year's Resolution

If you're choosing to commit to something, make sure it's worth it.
43

With a new year comes new goals. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a better person, wanting to live a meaningful life and wanting to make positive changed, but there's a fine line between positive change and superficial self-destruction. When setting a New Year's Resolution, it's important to ask yourself these five questions.

1. Will this make me a better person?

Not "will this make me look better?" or "will this make other people think I'm better?" but will it truly make you a better person? Will it make your spirit softer? Your heart kinder? Will it help you connect with others and motivate you to make positive changes in your life daily?

2. How will this affect my life?

It's easy to set goals that motivate us to get things done and to finally check the things off your list that you've been putting off, but if you're deciding to make a change in your life, it's important to ask yourself how this change is going to impact your life in the long run. Will you view this goal next New Year's with peace, knowing you did something good?

3. How will this affect other people's lives?

If your resolution is so self-directed that you lose sight of those around you, it might be a good idea to rethink it. At the end of the day, the people around us and the relationships we have are the most important thing. If your number one goal this year isn't going to help someone else in some way, it's probably not the best goal.

4. Is this a superficial goal?

Why is your resolution what it is? Is it to gain the approval of another person? Is it because you think if you look different in some way you might be happier? The truth is, you won't. Unless you get to the real heart issues, nothing you do on the outside will cause any real change. What's the point of looking perfect if your life doesn't have enough meaning in it to show up for the people around you as you really are?

5. Does it really matter?

A year from now, when you look back on this goal, will you be happy with the changes you've made? Will you have enhanced your life and learned to find joy in the things around you? Will you have loved the people in your life the way you needed to love them? Were you the person you wanted to be?

A year is a long time. If you are choosing to commit to something, make sure it's worth it.