5 Things All Restaurant Workers Know Too Well

All restaurant employees know the struggle of these five moments.

8
Wikimedia

From late night shifts, double seating and lousy tips, being in a restaurant has its share of pains. While your co-workers and paycheck may make it worth the while, all restaurant employees know the struggle of these five moments:

1. When the manager says you can be cut at 9 p.m. and then another customer walks in.

We all know the feeling of relief when the manager comes up to you and cuts you to go home for the night. Thank god the seven hour shift of standing on your feet is over and you can finally go home and relax! But then, the worst possible thing known to man happens: a customer is seated at the booth at your section. Now you are running on the customer’s time and they dictate how long you will be at the restaurant for. It is painful to see people who were cut after you leave just because one customer is holding back your plans to get out early.

2. The pain of side work.

Side work, also known as the silent killer. It is basically the equivalent of expecting to write a five paragraph essay while running a mile. While you are running from table to table, bringing food, taking orders, and smiling to get those tips, it is also necessary to do little tasks around the restaurant to guarantee it runs like a well oiled machine

3. Being double seated.

The expression “If one is good, two is better” does not apply to restaurant workers. Looking over and seeing two sets of fresh customers sitting in your section is not a happy sight. Yes, you can try and look at the positive that it will be more money. But, at the same time you will be running around double time trying to get all the necessary to the two tables at the same time. I know the hosts are doing their best, but please, unless you want to be getting an angry glare the rest of the night, avoid double seating.

4. The sinking feeling knowing you’re closing.

You come in to work all hopeful. You are one of the first ones in and that means you’ll be one of the first ones out. That is, until the manager creates the floor plan and it turns out you are closing. On a weekday, it guarantees you will be at the restaurant until 10 p.m. and on weekend at least 11 p.m. Even if it is dead quiet, you will be there until the last door is locked and all the side work for everyone is completed. Not only is closing a lot of work, but it is heartbreaking to watch all your co-workers leave and go back into the world. They have been given freedom while you remain at the mercy of each and every customer who walks through that door.

5. Being super great and then not getting good tips.

The key to being a good worker appears to be simple: put the customer first, be happy/friendly and check in often. It is easy to be critical of someone at a restaurant; whether it is the host, waiter, manager or take-out representative. But, it is a lot more work than what meets the eye. It is hard running around to multiple tables, keeping the orders in your head, making sure everything runs smoothly. So, when the worker does a good job and tries their best, please be sure to tip them. Remember that they are here to work and make money as the main goal. It is not just for fun, so please contribute the proper percentage of the total to meet the quality of service!