5 Things To Look For In Jets v. Chiefs

5 Things To Look For In Jets v. Chiefs

There are many intriguing subplots in this Week 3 matchup

5
5 Things To Look For In Jets v. Chiefs
Raymond Carlin III (USA TodaY)

Oh, how sweet nine days of rest will be for these Jets.

After playing on short rest last Thursday, and winning in convincing fashion against their division rivals, hopes are high coming into Week 3. However, it will be no easy task for Gang Green, as they find themselves playing another playoff-caliber team in the Chiefs. And with the Patriots possibly now down to their fourth string quarterback, (which probably won't even matter to Coach Belichick, who can probably win with Julian Edelman starting), this game is a must-win for the Jets if they have any hopes of winning the division. Regardless, it is going to be a hardly fought for contest between two very good teams each fighting for their second win of the season. Here are 5 pivotal things to watch for going into Sunday's game.

Enunwa's Eruption

With Brandon Marshall listed as a game-time decision, the Jets have probably already placed a contingency plan in place in case he can't start. Part of that plan should be targeting Quincy Enunwa, frequently. As shown in the first two games, Enunwa has been extremely reliable and efficient. While he still hasn't crossed the 100 yard plateau yet, he has made his presence known. If Marshall is out, expect an Enunwa eruption, coupled with a healthy dose of Decker.

Revis Redemption?

After two weeks of embarrassment for the former Pro Bowler, many people are rightfully questioning if Revis is done as an elite corner. Although teammates are quick to come to the defense of their defensive partner, it hasn't been pretty so far in 2016. Nonetheless, Revis may get a shot at redemption as he will be tasked with covering the electric Jeremy Maclin. With Alex Smith so far failing to connect with his receivers, both Smith and Revis will be looking at Maclin as a source of hope. If Revis can limit Maclin to under 100 yards and no touchdowns, I'll consider that a major victory for Revis. However, it still remains to be seen if he has anything left in the tank.

Gailey and Fitz's History with KC

Once the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs for one year in 2008, Chan Gailey knows a thing or two about playing in Arrowhead stadium. So does his current quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has actually played in Kansas City three times with three different teams--the Jets will be the fourth team. Fitzpatrick has had relative success going 2-1, once a 41-7 victory in 2011 when was with the Bills. With Gailey and Fitz's combined experience, look for continued greatness for Fitzpatrick. I expect Chan Gailey to come up with an aggressive, yet balanced game plan; something that he has done so far this year to varying success.

The Front Seven

After romping the Bengals in Week 1, the Jets' defensive front seven were hardly a factor in last week's victory against the Bills. Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams were ineffective, while the rookie MLB Darron Lee was fantastic. With the Jets having secondary woes, the big guys up front will have to live up to the preseason hype. They have to make the pocket small for Alex Smith, who is a QB that relies heavily on pocket time, with little to no mobility in his arsenal. Since Jamaal Charles is doubtful for this game, they won't even have to worry too much about stopping the run. If the front seven can keep the pressure on Smith, the Chiefs offense will have a long day at the office.

A Bilal Powell Sighting

So far this season, the Jets have relied heavily on Matt Forte. While he has produced big numbers, it is disconcerting that the 30-year old running back is being used and abused. The Jets do have a solid secondary option in Bilal Powell, someone who has seen minimal playing time. If the Chiefs figure out Forte early in the game, perhaps we will finally see a more balanced running attack with Powell powering through the defense. For the sake of Forte's longevity throughout the season, Todd Bowles should really consider using Powell more than he has the first two games.