5 Things Everyone Should Know About Epilepsy

Some details and information that I feel are important.

59
harleystreetwellbeingclinic.co.uk

It’s not every day that I am willing to openly discuss the fact that I have epilepsy. If you don’t know what it is, it is seizures. I believe people should be aware of some things, coming from someone who knows. It really may not be that big a deal to some people, but until you experience being around someone that has had a seizure or know someone, it can really be something they struggle with. Here are some things that I feel are necessary for everyone to take into consideration:

1. Always know what to do when someone is having a seizure.

If someone is have a seizure, clear anything out of the way that could possibly cause them danger. For example, chairs and tables need to be moved. Lay something under their head to prevent any extra damage to the brain. Once the seizure is over, turn the person on their side. Most often, people will vomit afterwards.

2. Know what NOT to do.

When someone is having a grand mal seizure (typically the kind of seizure everyone thinks of), never put anything in their mouth. This can very much injury the jaw and teeth. Also do not ever try to restrain them. This could also very much injure them or it could even hurt you.

3. When is it time to call 9-1-1?

When 9-1-1 should be called is typically after five minutes have passed. It always a good thing to time them if you know when they started in order to be able to tell the paramedic and/or doctor what the situation is at hand. Many doctors will ask if this is the first seizure or it is a recurring thing, Any seizure that lasts longer than five minutes requires a shot in the butt.

4. Things that can trigger a seizure.

Things that typically trigger a seizure are strobe lights, sleep deprivation, and over stimulation in the brain. Other things can be a missed medication, stress, and for women it can be her menstrual cycle. All these things are tested in the EEG and determine where the problem takes place.

5. Jokes can hurt.

Jokes are never thought of as being hurtful or mean. People seem to think that it is ok to make jokes not knowing the truth behind what really happens. I say that I hardly ever get mad, but truth is the fact that you don’t know what I go through after I have seizure like that. You don’t know the stories of kids that can’t be helped with medication. I just ask that you be careful of what you say. Words hurt.

I believe these five things can be a true help to people who actually have seizures, as well as those have never experienced or seen someone having a seizures.