5 Things To Do Over Spring Break If You're Too Poor To Travel

How to have a fun, relaxing spring break wherever you are.
364

A college student's ideal spring break typically consists of a beach in Florida, good friends, and an amazing time. For many of us, however, that type of spring break is only a fantasy. Airfare, hotels or house rentals, and gas get very expensive very quickly. Between rapidly increasing student loan debts and working 20+ hours a week just to get by, an expensive vacation simply isn't feasible. Even if you can't party on the beaches in Florida this spring break, there's no reason why you still shouldn't have a great time from where you are now. Here are five things to do this spring break if you're too poor to travel.

1. Catch up with old friends from home.

Spring break is one of the few times during the semester that your hometown friends will all be in one place, making it the perfect opportunity for a reunion. Get together with all the people you've missed while you were away at college and catch up on each other's lives. No matter what you decide to do, you're bound to have a good time filled with plenty of laughs and nostalgia.

2. Go on a mini road trip.

Just because you can't go on an elaborate vacation doesn't mean you have to stay at home. Get some friends together and drive to a city that has fun things to see or do, but is close enough for a day trip. This way, all you have to pay for is gas, and the cost can easily be split among each other.

3. Go hiking somewhere with nice scenery.

With the weather finally getting warm again, spring break is the perfect opportunity to go hiking. Hiking is a great way to enjoy the sun and warmer weather while getting a workout in. Many cities have parks fairly close by, and it's always fun to go somewhere new and soak up the beauty of nature. To find a national park near you, check out National Parks and for general hiking and biking trails near you, check out Traillink.

4. Celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

This year, many college students were lucky enough for St. Paddy's day to be during their spring break. That being said, you can finally enjoy the festivities of the holiday without the guilt that comes with skipping class. If your city is as fun as mine is, you can catch the St. Patrick's Day parade, which turns into a huge, city-wide party. Sure, Florida probably has some great St. Paddy's day parties, but you don't need to be on a beach to enjoy the holiday.

5. Netflix and nap.

After a long half of the semester, all we really need to do is relax. Traveling is an amazing experience and a great way to unwind, but catching on sleep and missed shows can be just as relaxing. It's okay to be lazy over spring break, and sometimes, being lazy is the best way to spend a break. Let your mind and body take a week off to sleep, binge-watch, and de-stress; it's the cheapest method of relaxation that we all desperately need.