5 Signs You Grew Up In A Mixed Home

5 Signs You Grew Up In A Mixed Home

Growing up in a world that's black and white.

258
5 Signs You Grew Up In A Mixed Home
Twitter

What are you?

Omg, dude, you’re a mutt!

So are you black, or what?

I’m not trying to be mean, but are you a Mexican? Any Latin descent?

Wow, your hair is like- a white person’s!

You don’t speak Mexican? You look like you do.

These are just a few of my favorite comments I’ve had hurled at me while growing up. Anyone who is mixed, can 100 percent relate to me when I say: growing up in mixed in a world that is black and white is tough. Over the years, I have been blessed (blessed most nearly means plagued in this context) with questions regarding my background and true ethnicity.

Here are five truths I've realized that help shed a little light on how it feels to grow up in a biracial home:

1. THE. HAIR.

Those who have been graciously provided with a mixed hair type can understand the struggle. Natural sometimes means nappy or kinky. If you don't twist your hair at night, it will be a beautiful, fuzzy lion's mane in the morning.

For people like me, it meant being in braids 25/8 as a child. You couldn't control the freak flag, but you wouldn't dare let it fly.

2. You Don't Quite Belong/Your Friends Are A-Holes

One of the biggest struggles I have faced being biracial is making friends. Oh, brother.

It’s always the same thing, I’m not enough. “You’re not black enough” or “You’re not white enough." My motto seems to be the, “whitest black girl you’ve ever met."

When I am around my white friends, they expect me to behave a certain way. Though it's never said out loud, it is shown in their looks of horror if I suggest watching "Good Times" or listening to Boyz II Men or Run DMC.

When I am around my friends of color, it's no different. If I dare suggest listening to AC/DC or Fleetwood Mac, they run for the hills. They become confused as to why I "don't act black" or why I "act so white."

3. You Look Nothing Like Your Siblings

Genetics are the worst. They are complex and unforgiving. My family loves to taunt me about being the black sheep of the family, pun intended. Out of the four of us, I’m the darkest. Tanned skin, brown eyes and black hair. The rest of those mulattoes have beautiful olive skin and the prettiest eyes you've ever seen.

4. Your Parents Are Crazy

While my dad taught me about systematic oppression and how cunningly corrupted the government is; my mom taught me about white privilege, the importance of everyone’s lives and that loving those of all colors is vital.

Needless to say, they ruined my life by giving me a soft spot for everyone I came into contact with. They BOTH expected that I love all forms of life, which at times is hard to do.

5. Radical Family Members Tend To Hate Your Existence

Like I've said before, being biracial is tough. People are ignorant, set in their ways and have extremist ways of looking at life. If you are a mixed child like me then you know all to well those few family members that make it clear they don't agree with your...well, being alive. They feel that the mixing of races is an abomination, so *insert eye roll here*.

For those who feel a little stunted by the people around you, making you feel like less of a person - don't forget that mixed races are the luckiest races. We have been blessed with the best of both worlds. We are able to look at life through the eyes of two different races at one time. We have been taught to love all forms of life dearly, which is something to treasure. Be proud of you who and where you come from, you are something to be cherished.