5 Resolutions to Make & Keep in 2017

5 Resolutions to Make & Keep in 2017

Some suggestions to make for a better and brighter 2017.

9
5 Resolutions to Make & Keep in 2017
kindakind.com

Remember how awful 2016 was at times? There were some good parts, but there was lots of struggle. Horrific genocide, the deaths of beloved celebrities, an election from hell, and the list goes on. But while the world over seems to be a little darker, there are things we can resolve to do to improve the tiny world around us to cause a ripple effect of kindness, generosity, and love. Let's make next year better than this one.

1. Practice self-care, including contact with mental health care professionals.

Change starts within. If you yourself are not in the best physical, mental, or emotional shape, it may be more difficult to positively influence those around you. Find a doctor who will listen to your concerns. Take medication if you need it, and don'tstop taking it unless your doctor directs you to. Shower or take a bath even when you feel crummy. Eat wholesome foods to feed your brain and fuel your body. Cut out as much junk food as you can stand. Say one positive thing about yourself every day. Get plenty of sleep. Every healthy practice you engage in will benefit you.

2. Cut out negative influences and toxic people.

Easier said than done, but if someone or something popped into your head, then half the struggle is over. Once you've realized that there is a toxin in your life, whether it is a friend, a family member, addiction, drugs, bad habits, or even yourself, the real test is getting rid of it. If someone in your life is controlling and dangerous, please ask for help before breaking connections. Otherwise, feel free to speak your mind. Write it down on paper if you need to, and then do what needs to be done. You can't function to your fullest when negativity is dragging you down.

3. Play more.

When I say play, I mean engage in more activities that lift your soul. If you love playing sports, but never seem to have the time, make space in your schedule for a weekly game with friends. If you never see your friends anymore, make plans to see each other. Hold a game night at your house. Invite someone you haven't seen in a while out for a meal. Bake cookies, go rock climbing, write a romantic poem, take dance classes, visit the local library, take a vacation in Europe. Make memories and take pictures. Life is too short for anything less.

4. Make amends.

If there is an apology or acceptance in your heart and you haven't spoken it, this year is the perfect time to do so. I don't mean that everyone who has done you wrong to deserves these gestures. But when there are lost connections in your life, don't ignore the feelings that tell you to make things right. All you can do is offer your support and love and leave it at that. If it's reciprocated, perfect--but don't expect it. Just expect to get it off your own chest and you will feel better regardless.

5. Donate to charity.

Money is an awesome way to donate, but even better when there is something concrete you can do. Help start a community garden to feed and employ the poor. Give away gently used clothing. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Offer a homeless person a job around your house for pay. Visit an animal shelter or nursing home. Make a meal for a friend who is struggling. Become a foster parent. Give your time and money in a way that truly matters and you will be surprised at how full your heart can be.

A lot of sad things are bound to happen in 2017, but if you keep just one of these resolutions, I promise that it will be that much better. May your year be full of happiness and love!