5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Another Country

Traveling is great for you, and here's why.

3634
Dana Pineda

If you're around my age or have ever been on Tumblr, you've probably heard of the term "wanderlust." This term is the word used for the desire to travel. For me personally, I tend to daydream about places that I've been, places I want to go and places I would want to visit again. I've been to quite a few countries while I've been alive. In fact, when I was just a baby I went to Thailand for the first time with my family and other family friends. Ever since then, I've had a strong case of wanderlust, which is one of the main reasons why I'm studying international relations in college.

Now I understand that travelling can be expensive when it comes to airfare, lodging and food, but if you can swing it, it's worth every penny. I believe that people who are able to should visit at least one other country during their lifetime, and here's why.

1. You gain exposure to another culture.

Sure, it may be awkward at first if you go to another country to the first time and find yourself stumbling around a little bit, but that's all part of the adventure. When I went to Peru during my senior year of high school, I remember feeling a bit lost and like I stood out like a sore thumb, as opposed to the number of times I went to Asia where it was a little bit easier to blend in. As the days passed, however, I found myself loving every new thing I discovered. Whether it was Macchu Picchu, eating guinea pig or something else, I loved every minute of it. No matter which country you visit, you'll be exposed to the culture and customs of that place. Not only that, but you gain an appreciation for that particular culture and expand your own horizons.

2. You get to go out of your comfort zone.

I know that we've all been there. Something new comes up that you have an inkling to try, but you just feel like you would rather stay in bed and watch TV and stick to your normal routine instead of trying that new and exciting thing. When you travel, you find yourself wanting to try new things that you never would've thought of doing if you were back home. It doesn't matter if it's elephant riding in Thailand, jet skiing in Mexico or zip lining in the Amazon, everything is new and exciting and you have thousands of opportunities to try something different each day.

3. Food never tasted so good.

One of the best things about travelling to another country is eating your way through it. I was raised as a foodie and taught to love and appreciate food for its authenticity and value. An important priority on my bucket list is going to Japan and visiting a real ramen shop. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of awesome ramen shops here in the US, but nothing beats the real thing where it originated. Food is an important part of any culture and you are bound to find a dish that you will fall in love with wherever you go.

4. Telling your friends where you've been is fun.

Whenever I tell one of my friends that I've been to the actual Macchu Picchu, they usually instantly get jealous and want to hear more about my adventure. And I always find a subtle joy in saying that I was able to go before they close it down to visitors because of the erosion due to the amount of people that visit each year, Travelling gives you amazing stories to tell, and I guarantee that you will find it fun to see how jealous your friends get when you come back from your vacation and show them all of your awesome photos.

5. The memories you make are worth every last penny.

Just think about it, when will you ever get a chance to visit the Great Wall of China, eat a weird sounding sushi in Japan or take a cruise through Mexico? We are living in an era where it is now easier than ever to get from place to place thanks to airplanes, cruise ships and trains. And yes, I completely understand that these things add up, but if you search for the right deals, you could find yourself jet-setting somewhere new and exciting. When you look at your photos two, three or even 20 years from now, I promise that you will smile about all of the awesome memories you made on your trip.

Now that you've read through this article, where do you start? How do you start planning a vacation to somewhere you have no clue about? One of the first things is to do a little bit of research. Look up places you want to go and try to get a general estimate on how much travel expenses might be. Once you've done that, set aside a little bit of money a month to a specific travel fund. There are a lot of different websites out there that will give you estimates about how much airfare will be based on the month you want to travel. There are also numerous options for lodging including traditional hotels, hostels and even AirBnB. All of the resources are out there, it's up to you if you want to utilize them or not.

Now, I'm going to get back to planning my dream trip to Japan.