5 Reasons Why "Pokémon GO" Is So Popular

What makes this game loved by so many?

21
youtube.com

Recently, the world has been taken by storm by "Pokémon GO." After being released Wednesday, July 7 in most areas, the app quickly rose to the top of the charts of both the android and iOS markets. Traffic was so heavy, in fact, that Niantic, the company coordinating this endeavor with the Pokémon Company, has had issues keeping the servers online for substantial periods of time. This led to releases for many countries, including places like the United Kingdom, being held back until the issues can be resolved. For those not playing the game, you may wonder what makes it so popular. Here are five reasons why "Pokémon GO" has taken over our world.

Pokémon are Cute

First of all, have you seen some of these little pocket monsters? They are downright adorable. No one could possibly look at an Eevee, Pikachu, or Clefairy without smiling. If you can, then you are definitely the pooper of every party you have ever attended. I for one know that I would love to have one of these guys as an adorable companion.

Nostalgia

As a generation of '90s kids comes into young adulthood we grasp for things to remind us of our simpler pasts. Why would we want to think about rent and cooking our own meals and making our own doctor’s appointments when we can run around and catch Pokémon? That is so much more fun than adulting. We grew up with Pokémon, and now we get to bring them into the world around us.

You get to revisit your old childhood fantasies

When I was younger I imagined for myself on more than one occasion that Pokémon were real. Based on the lay of the land around me I deduced where I would be able to catch different species, and I set out to become a Pokémon Master and Catch ‘Em All. Now I can actually do that. "Pokémon GO" has different Pokémon show up based on your location, and it puts them in the surrounding area. It is truly our childhood fantasies come to life, and it is awesome.

Believe it or not, there is a community

I get it; if you have not played this single player phone game, it may sound weird that communities of people are getting together because of it. But they are. I have met or reconnected with people because of this free app. I have read stories, seen pictures, and witnessed firsthand that people are coming together because of Pokémon GO. And it is friendly. It is inviting. When you walk up to a Pokéstop and see other people there you know exactly what they are doing. You share a bond with them.

It acts as a means of escape from our harsh world

Almost every time I use my phone I wind up hearing about some type of tragedy. Whether it is another man that was killed by police, a mass shooting like Orlando, a terrorist attack overseas, or someone killing law enforcement like what happened in Dallas, all of it is terrible news, and all of it is too readily accessed. I am not trying to say that we should not be aware of what is going on in the world around us, but some days you just cannot take any more heartbreak. Sometimes I need to fire up my phone get lost in something that is not wholly tragic. "Pokémon GO" has done that for me, and I think it is fir to say it has done that for the countless players around me.

If you have not taken the time to download "Pokémon GO," then I highly recommend it. I am sure you will quickly understand why it has become so popular!