5 Reasons Why It's Important To Stay True To Yourself

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

9978
Un Wind with Melissa

Sometimes, it's difficult to stay true to yourself. Social media, advertisements, fashion trends, and television can convince us that we need to change who we are in order to fit in. Although it is not always easy, it is important to stay true to who you are. Here are some reasons why:

1. You can establish your own identity

In every aspect of life, it is important to know who you are, what your values are, what you like and dislike, and where you see yourself in the future. If you take the time to establish your own identity, you can discover the things that are truly important to you and create a unique set of characteristics that define your personality. If you establish your own identity, it is easier to show the world who you are. The more you know about yourself, the easier it is to stay true to that image. Usually, people are very impressed by and respectful of the fact that you have a set of characteristics that you find important to your identity, and that makes it easier to stay true to yourself.

2. You can be more open with others

If you are constantly changing your values, your sense of style, or the things you like just to fit in with the current trends, it is difficult to establish true connections with other people. It is easier to create open and honest relationships with others when you remain steadfast in who you are. People are more willing to respect your commitment to staying true to yourself than they will be if you are constantly changing who you are just to fit in with the crowd.

3. You can be honest with yourself

When you are aware of the characteristics that are important to your identity, it becomes easier to be honest with yourself. If you do something that is not within your set of values, or if you change the things that are important to you just to please other people, you are more likely to be able to identify these changes and make an honest judgement on whether or not these changes will benefit you if you already have an established identity.

4. You know when it's time to make changes

When you have an established identity and you can be honest with yourself and others, you know when it's time to make changes in your life. Whether it be cutting out toxic relationships, making new friends, moving to a new place or finding a new job, if you are aware of the values that are important to you, you can immediately identify the things in your life that are making you unhappy, and change them to be more beneficial to your happiness.

5. You get to be YOU!

I know it's cliche, but Shakespeare did say "To thine own self be true." It's a tale as old as time: be true to who you are, and good things will happen to you. Why try to emulate other people when you were fortunate enough to be born with your own unique set of characteristics that make you different from everyone else? Being true to yourself isn't just about standing out from the crowd, though. It's about knowing who you are, being interested in your own well-being, and being able to identify your hopes and desires without external influences. It is about establishing a true identity that you can define yourself by, and being able to show the world what makes you YOU!