5 Reasons Why Entrepreneurship Is An Important Major

And why people need to stop making it seem less important than any other major.

72

1. Having a business does not just revolve around how much money is being made.

Through the entrepreneurship program, students learn lessons that go beyond just making money. Of course, learning about how to manage numbers and money is important. However, through entrepreneurship, students have been able to be more prepared for the adult life. Having a business without a purpose and passion is like going to the gym in high heels - there is no reason for that and it will lead to failure. If people see that you are just in it for the money, they will not be convinced to purchase whatever you may be selling.

2. Entrepreneurship is taking over the business world.

The word "entrepreneur" is taking over the business world one step at a time. People no longer strive to be just another number in a corporate organization. Instead, they are taught that failure is important and that starting a business from the ground up is one of the most rewarding experiences one can have in life. With the Internet, almost anything has become possible and businesses have a much greater chance of getting the word out today. Additionally, starting a business does not have to cost a fortune. There are many opportunities given to entrepreneurs because there are plenty of investors who want to help.

3. There are many job opportunities that come with this major.

Entrepreneurship is extremely versatile. By learning information about different types of businesses, a student will gain knowledge in many different fields. This will then lead to the entrepreneurship major being very helpful across many different jobs. The classes that the major offers range from technology to accepting failure as a business owner to many more. Being an entrepreneur does not just mean you have to start a business one day. Instead, with the knowledge this major provides for its students, they often join established businesses to improve them.

4. Students get to connect with business owners all over the nation.

Since entrepreneurship majors are starting to be widely accepted at schools across the nation, more business owners are willing to work with those students. Through the entrepreneurship department, I have been able to meet dozens of business owners and have gotten the chance to learn from their mistakes. Entrepreneurs want nothing more but to help people avoid the mistakes they made themselves. They want to be mentors to new business owners because they've been through the struggles.

5. You learn to think outside of the box.

We are taught very early on in school that asking questions is a bad thing. Teachers and professors do not want us questioning the world. Contrarily, entrepreneurship professors challenge their students every day to step out of their comfort zone and think using a part of their brain that has been avoided for many years. Entrepreneurship majors are taught to color outside of the lines, which is why they stand out in the job field, in a positive way of course. When sitting in class, many assignments do not have clear guidelines and students have to present their best work without knowing what was exactly expected.