5 Reasons Why You Should Be An LGBT Ally

We're all human and LGBT rights are human rights.

1856

An LGBT+ ally is a heterosexual and cisgender person who supports equal civil rights, gender equality, LGBT+ social movements, and challenges homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia. Despite this, some people who meet this definition do not identify themselves as straight allies.

As pride season is approaching us, we as human beings must acknowledge the struggles members of the LGBT+ community face today. Even if you aren’t a part of the LGBT+ community, you can still show your support as an ally.

Allies are some of the most effective and powerful voices of the LGBT+ movement. Not only do allies help people in the coming-out process, they also help others understand the importance of equality, fairness, acceptance and mutual respect. Below are some of the many reasons why you should be an ally for the LGBT+ community.

1. People in the LGBT+ community are human too

I say this because we often forget that they are indeed human and who are we to take their rights away. Remember, LGBT rights are human rights.

2. Even if you are not a part of the LGBT+ community, you should support them

That’s what being an ally means. Showing support for the LGBT community doesn’t mean you have to be a part of it. Your support shows that you recognize that they too are human therefore they deserve to have rights.

3. Marriage is a basic human right

For some reason, it is okay for a straight person to be married to multiple times over the course of their lifetime but it’s not okay for two people of the same gender to get married. Sad.

4. Same-sex marriage doesn’t actually affect those who aren’t LGBT+

So why is it such a big deal? Because it’s against your religion? I’m Christian and I support LGBT rights and you should too.

5. There will be better quality of life not just for the LGBT+ community, but for everyone else as well

Denying a person equal rights due to their sexual orientation is no better than denying them equal rights due to their race. It is time for people to ask themselves whether they want to live in a society that marginalizes citizens and make them feel unwelcome. Gay rights can help to restore their sense of belonging and allow them to feel more comfortable. Ending discrimination enhances the human spirit and makes all our lives better.

There is no reason why a gay person should be denied the same rights and freedoms as their straight counterparts. Whether it’s same-sex marriage or the right to adopt a child, gay rights supporters believe that it is time to stop withholding basic freedoms from any group of American citizens.

Prejudice is taught in the home. Children do not emerge from the womb with a dislike for anyone, they are taught how to hate others by prejudiced parents. If gay rights become an accepted part of our society, this reduces the chances that our children will discriminate against the gay community. Gay rights give our society a chance to grow and improve in ways that simply were not available to previous generations.