5 Reasons Why Getting a Dog In College Was My Best Decision Ever

Who knew how much I would learn from having my own four-legged creature?

3
Hannah Jones

Dog. Man's best friend. Fur-covered (sometimes not) creatures on this planet that humans do not deserve time and time again. Coming from a home where at least two dogs were there to love on at all times, moving away to college was hard. Two years spent in the dorm without much dog contact other than a visit every now and then to the local animal shelter really gets to you.

That's why after moving into my first place after living pet-free on campus, I decided to go to the shelter and adopt a dog. Not only would this decision teach me so many lessons, but it would be my best decision in college yet.

1. They teach you responsibility.

Before getting Gia (my pitbull/border collie energy-filled pup), I wouldn't hesitate to spend a night over at a friend's house, go out of town for a weekend, or even spend large amounts of time studying in the evenings. Having a dog in college forces you to take responsibility. It teaches you what it takes in order to care for a pet, and in an indirect way how to care for yourself as well. Having a dog can positively influence you to have a more healthy daily schedule. Plus, if you ever need to get out of an unwanted situation, the "I need to go home and feed/check on my dog" excuse is golden.

2. They make you have a more active lifestyle.

Not only do I gain more physical activity in my life by owning a dog, she does too. Most dogs are very active, especially if you get them as a puppy. Having Gia makes me want to go and do activities that she can also gain from. These may include a walk, hike, swimming, or even playing fetch. A bonus to having a dog is getting to attend the dog park where you and your furry friend gain some well needed social experience.

3. They ensure you always have someone to welcome you home.

Regardless of how crazy your life can be in college (try having two jobs, full class schedule, many extracurricular activities and a social life), your dog is always there when you come in the door waiting with a wagging tail. Gia is my constant in my life. My weeks seem to change by the minute, but having her as a solid support at home makes my life seem slightly more normal.

4. They provide someone you can vent to.

Dogs are the best listeners, hands down. Sometimes all you need is a good ear and someone by your side when the stress of college gets to you. Whether that's classes, work, extracurricular activities or social life, a dog will always be willing to listen to your frustrations. And, if you're like me and struggle with anxiety sometimes, having a dog can significantly calm you down and make you feel like you have someone.

5. They teach you what unconditional love is.

There's a saying that a dog may not be around for the rest of your life, but you are around for the rest of theirs. Dogs teach you what one of the most important things in life is: unconditional love. Despite the fact that they may have done something wrong or you may have yelled at them, they love you with their whole being. We may not deserve dogs in the slightest, but one thing we can do to repay them is try to unconditionally love them back.