5 Realistic Resolutions To Increase Your Happiness

No diet or exercise is required

4

I don't like New Years resolutions, I really don't. Every year I say I'm going to eat healthier and work out more, but truth being told, I never do. The new year does not give me more time in a day, change my ever-so-busy schedule, or magically make my bank account grow, therefore my usual resolution almost always fails. This year, though, I'm switching it up. I hate New Years resolutions that require basic life situations to change in order to succeed, so I'm not setting one for myself this year.

This year, I'm going to set these 5 realistic New Years resolutions that I have complete control over. You should join me in these resolutions because they don't require any extra time or money, and they will undoubtedly help you reach a new level of self love.

1. Start saying 'thank you' any time I want to say 'I'm sorry'

How much better does, "Thanks for waiting for me", sound than, "I'm sorry I'm late"? Or, "Thanks for listening to me", than, "Sorry I just talked your ear off"? Much, much better. Replacing all of your sorry's with thank you's will make others feel more positive about you, as well as make you feel more positive about yourself.

2. Only check/look at social media 3-5 times a day

Yes, I know this sounds like a lot, but for me it is a huge step. I know I use social media way too much, and I know that if I were to lighten it up a bit, my happiness would probably increase, too. I mean, come on, I'm comparing myself to other people's best side several times a day, and I know it can't be good for me.

3. Tell my Mom, Dad, and siblings 'I love you' every time I talk to them

Life is short, and many people don't realize just how short it is until they're forced to. I don't want to wait to figure it out, I want my family to know how important they are to me, and how much I love them every second of every day. That way, if something were to happen,I wouldn't have to live with regret for the rest of my life.

4. Tell myself two things I love about my body every time I look in the mirror

It's 2016 and I, like almost every other person in the world at this point, have fallen in to the trap of criticizing myself and my body every chance I get. Every time I see myself in the mirror I look for things I dislike, hate, or want to change. I'm starting to realize how important self love is, though, and if I were to compliment myself rather than put myself down everyday, I would be a much happier person all around.

5. Smile, as soon as I wake up, every single day

Science has proven (multiple times) that you can trick yourself in to a good mood simply by smiling. So, imagine how optimistic you would be about each day if you were to smile as soon as you open your eyes. You wouldn't have to dread your daily routine that lies ahead, you would instead, be thankful for the day you were given. All you have to do is smile.