5 Quick Ways to Relax During Finals Week

Start by taking it one day at a time.

101
Networking Times

Every college student's most dreaded week is almost upon us...

I don't know about you but simply the name of it gives me a little bit of anxiety. Sometimes I'm not sure which time in the semester is worse. Finals week or the week right before it. But what I do know is that they can both be beyond stressful and busy.

At the conclusion of each semester, I try to make myself not procrastinate or slack during finals week. However, as my final tests approach, I can feel myself become more buried and buried in papers, presentations and studying.

When the stress of the end of the semester comes over us, relaxing and getting a good night's sleep are often the very last things on our minds. We have to remember to treat our bodies and minds well in order to succeed in our schoolwork.

If you're like me and can already feel the days of early mornings and late nights spent at the library approaching quickly, these relaxation tips will be your lifeline.

1. Take a nap

It can be near to impossible to carve out a chunk of time in a hectic schedule to do this, but often times it's needed to recharge and refocus. A 30-minute "power nap" can help tremendously if you didn't get much sleep the previous night.

2. Spend time in prayer

If you're a praying person, now is the time to find a quiet place, gather your thoughts, sort through your doubts and give them all to God in prayer.

An alternative to prayer can be devoting 20 minutes to meditation or even yoga. This quiet time can give us the strength and energy we need to tackle whatever faces us in the days to come.

3. Music

This one is pretty self-explanatory, but forcing yourself to put away the books, plug your earphones in and play a relaxation music playlist on Spotify can be the most calming of activities to engage in.

4. Take a walk

Leave the library or your place of study for only 10 minutes, go outside and take a walk around campus. The fresh air and a change of scenery can make a huge difference when it comes to your current stress level.

5. De-stress with friends

Your friends are in the same boat as you when it comes to the craziness of finals! You can create a solid support group for one another. Have a hangout sesh, grab some coffee and just vent to them. Voice your concerns, stresses and worries to each other. This can lead to shared advice and words of comfort. There's nothing better than to hear from a friend, "I believe in you. You got this!"

Keep your head up during this busy time! I know it can be easier said than done.

Regarding final exams, the president of my university says, "this too shall pass." Remind yourself of those words when you feel like you're drowning in work. I know I sure will.