5 Phenomenal Hikes You Need To Take Around The Capital Region

"I could never resist the call of the trail."

30
Emily Kretzschmar

If you happen to live in the Capital Region Area and are looking for pretty awesome trails to hike that aren't Thatcher Park (spoiler alert that's the last one listed here), then look no further because I have compiled a short list to satiate your nature needs:

1. Sleeping Beauty Mountain - Lake George, New York

If you're looking for a relatively easy and steady climb to a fantastic view that is worth all the bugs and the possible pressing urge to pee because you drink too much water, then look no further. My only advice is to try not to do this hike on one of the hottest days of the summer and you will be a-okay.

2. Prospect Mountain - Lake George, New York

This hike, or more like literal climb up the mountain basically killed me. We *smartly* chose to do it on the hottest and most humid day of the week and smart me forgot my inhaler which of course means I had a baby asthma attack. If any of you have played the game Witcher 3, you feel as if you are living in that world and it was amazing. Again I can only complain about the bugs, mainly because it had just rained a lot recently and the bugs love little streams and puddles.

3. Cornish Estates Trail - Cold Spring, New York

This hike was super easy and my only complaint was the spider I found that was easily the size of my hand ((not joking)). The overgrown ruins were originally part of the 1917 estate of newlyweds Edward Joel Cornish and Selena Bliss Carter Cornish that included a mansion, giant swimming pool, greenhouse and several other outbuildings. Tragedy struck in 1938 when the couple died within 2 weeks of each other, causing the once dream home and surrounding grounds to fall into disrepair, and again in 1958 when a fire destroyed most of the mansion leaving it in ruins. I love any hikes that involve waterfalls, streams, or ruins so this hike has been my all time favorite one. The drive was a little far, but hey if you wanna see some cool stuff it is 100% worth it.

4. Plotter Kill Preserve Trail - Rotterdam, New York

This hike (which was only like 20 minutes from my house and I am so mad I didn't know this sooner) featured many waterfalls and opportunities to be eaten by bugs and to get your feet wet. At one point in the hike, we came across a homemade Girl Scout geocached which was pretty cool. The only major complaint I have is that there was no part on the many trails that lead you to the bottom of the waterfall. Now being the daredevil that I am, I decided to climb down the ravine, going against all of the signs telling me not to just that. And while I am not condoning this type of behavior because safety first, I was super glad I did because it made the hike 100x more worth it (see below image)

5. John Boyd Thatcher Park - Voorheesville, New York

Everyone in the capital region knows of Thatcher Park and it is a staple hike to complete each year. I have had many fun and amazing memories here. If you finish the hike pretty quickly, hike back to the top and enjoy the view with a nice picnic lunch.