5 Must See Docu-Series

5 Must See Docu-Series

Along with providing insightful entertainment, many telling docu-series have sparked important conversations, proving knowledge is power.

102

Documentaries are Saving Lives and Opening Eyes

In the last year, Docu-series have become extremely popular and consequently instrumental. Upon their release, these in-depth documentaries, broken up into multiple episodes, have continued to inspire audiences to take action where there's passion; whether it's speaking out about an abusive past, or fighting for a love one to be acquitted.

Here are 5 influential documentaries worth the watch:

1. Surviving R. Kelly

Surviving R. Kelly: R. Kelly Documentary On Abuse Allegations & Sex Cult www.youtube.com

This documentary is comprised of six vulnerable episodes, starring R. Kelly's victims, well-known pubic figures, and educated commentators. Viewers learn first hand about the underaged abuse many young girls experienced at the hand of the R&B; singer throughout his long career, and the public is made aware of his inexcusable actions. The brave women featured in this series detail their past interactions with R. Kelly, sparking up meaningful conversations about red flags, abuse, and power struggles within a relationship.The docu-series can be found on Hulu or on the Lifetime website and app.

2. The Keepers

As well as being a murder mystery documentary, exploring the question: "Who killed Sister Cathy?", The Keepers also features survivors who've experienced sexual abuse at the hand of a Catholic priest. Since its debut, The Keepers has had a positive impact on viewers, showing them that they are not alone in their abuse.

Sister Cathy Cesnik disappeared in November of 1969, and her body was found the following January. The Keepers connects her disappearance to the rampant abuse which had been occurring under the radar at the Catholic school she taught at.

The Keepers is currently streaming on Netflix.

The Keepers | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix www.youtube.com

3. Evil Genius

Evil Genius has been dubbed a true crime show focusing on one of the most twisted, yet genius bank robberies in America. This strange story begins with the death of a pizza delivery man, but as the episodes progress more ugly truths are uncovered. The unconventional lives of the duo in question, Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong and Bill Rothstein, are thoroughly examined by documentarian Trey Borzillieri. Borzilleri was actually in contact with Marjorie from 2005, until her death in 2017. Many of their phone calls and letters are aired in the series.

Who's the true master mind behind the pizza bombing? To find out, watch all episodes of Evil Genius on Netflix.

Evil Genius | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix www.youtube.com

4. Making a Murderer

Making a Murderer is probably one of Netflix's most well-known documentaries. It follows the double sentencing of Steven Avery, twice accused of murder. Avery was wrongfully convicted of murder in 1985, but a few years after his release he was sent to jail once again, found guilty on new murder charges. The fanfare generated from Making a Murderer's first season led to the re-examination of Avery's case in season 2.

Is Steven Avery truly a murderer? Find out for yourself by watching the 2 part series on Netflix.

Making A Murderer: Part 2 | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix www.youtube.com

5. The Staircase

The Staircase follows the 2003 murder trial of Novelist Michael Peterson, who is thought to have killed his wife. Viewers are able to evaluate the truth for themselves while watching everything play out in real time, as the footage captures fresh reactions and raw evidence in real time was it was discovered. Michael Peterson's fame may have sparked an initial interest in this case, but the details keep viewers intrigued.

Testimonies from Peterson and his family are included in the series, and a murder from Peterson's past is further examined.

Watch The Staircase on Netflix.

The Staircase | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix www.youtube.com