There are a lot of makeup brands out there that say they're against animal testing, but how many are living up to their word?
The answer? Not too many.
How heart-wrenching would it be if you found out that the makeup you use is only available to you because countless numbers of helpless, innocent animals had to go through unnecessary torture, harm and pain? Would you still wear your favorite lipstick if you knew that it destroyed lives - literally?
This list might contain some of your favorite makeup brands. Just keep in mind that they are testing some of their products on animals and sell them to countries that test their products on animals.
1. M.A.C. Cosmetics
The company’s website addresses the fact that they are working hard to abolish animal testing. However, some of their products and ingredients are still tested on animals in places like China. In other words, the team behind the brand is trying as hard as it can to use alternatives to animal testing but there are still some countries that require by law to test makeup on animals. Since M.A.C. sells their makeup to China, it has to be tested over there before the general public can actually buy and use it. If you find it hard to believe, head over to their animal testing page where they admit that they're not 100% cruelty-free and address the issue directly.
This makeup company is owned by L’Oréal, and although they say they don’t test on animals anymore, there are still some exceptions within the brand. If regulatory authorities demand it for safety and regulatory purposes, they test their products on animals. Maybelline is pretty much on the same boat as M.A.C. Cosmetics, but why would they be using ingredients that are so unsafe that they have to be tested on poor, helpless animals in the first place? If they're against animal testing, why would they sell their makeup to countries that require animal testing?
According to Procter & Gamble, the company that owns CoverGirl, they stopped testing 80 percent of their products on animals. What about the other 20 percent? Something doesn’t add up here. It’s also safe to question the fact that Ellen DeGeneres is a CoverGirl and against animal cruelty.
Okay, this is seriously messed up. Revlon was on PETA’s list of cruelty-free brands for over 20 years, but it was recently discovered that they actually went behind PETA’s back and sold a large amount of their products to China, where animal testing is required on makeup and cosmetics. It’s pretty much happening as we speak. Way to break our hearts and lie to us, Revlon.
5. Rimmel London
They claim on their website in giant, bold letters that they are extremely against animal testing. However, if you look at the paragraphs hidden deep within the crevices of their website in really small font sizes, they state, “By law, the regulatory authorities require us to submit our products or ingredients to them for testing on animals as a mandatory part of their regulatory protocols in compliance with their local regulations.” Again, if you’re really against animal testing, why would you purposely send your products to places that require animal testing?
In any case whatsoever, stay away from these makeup brands. They say that they are cruelty-free but that is not the case globally. Whereas they won't have their products tested on animals if they are sold in the United States, they will have their products tested on animals in places where it is required by law to test on animals.
In other words, these makeup brands come off as cruelty-free, but you should know that they are not exactly 100% cruelty free.
Also, if you're still not convinced that animal testing is bad, watch the video below.
WARNING: IT IS HARD TO WATCH.
Do you still want that lipstick?