5 Love Songs For Unusual People

5 Love Songs For Unusual People

Because "Can't Help Falling in Love" doesn't always cut it.

209
5 Love Songs For Unusual People
Katrin Hagen

Valentine’s day is hovering and some oddballs, in and out of relationships, can’t help but cringe a little. Yes, we understand the importance of cute romantic expression, but much of the commercial Valentine’s materials aren’t tailored towards our less-than-normal worldviews. Therefore, we need music that expresses our kind of romanticism.

1. “Anyone Else but You” by The Moldy Peaches

Somewhere in the middle of a childishly crass anti-folk album released on September 11, 2001 is an adorable, offbeat song that captivated many with it’s appearance in the 2007 film, Juno. The song is a back-and-forth between two less-than-perfect lovers who appreciate each other’s every quirk. The personas acknowledge each others’ faults rather than glossing over them, and, in their own crude, awkward way, have a great relationship.

2. “I Love a Snot” by Lisa Germano

Though Germano’s Excerpts From a Love Circus is largely grim, “I Love a Snot” has some element of appreciation, passive-aggressive though it may be. While the subject of appreciation is less than appealing, Germano’s persona finds something to appreciate, even with their rotten, rotten luck.

3. “Punk Rock Girl” by The Dead Milkmen

Yes, the manic pixie dream girl story is overdone. This time, though, the guy is totally on board with their over-the-top antics and adventures. Irreverent as always, the characters blunder through Philadelphia, intentionally butting heads with mainstream urban culture as they pursue love, Mojo Nixon, and fudge banana swirl.

4. “Ugly Love” by Eels

For the folks looking for someone else who enjoys the odder parts of life, we have “Ugly Love.” There’s no actualization here, but there’s an anticipation of, someday, finding someone just as weird as you who appreciates your outlandish self. Though there is no established relationship, there’s hope for this impending first date. Maybe things will go differently this time. Who knows?

5. “Different Kinds of Happy” by Sara Groves

While Germano examines unredeemable and seemingly unredeemable romances, Groves looks into redeeming romances. “Different Kinds of Happy” depicts a seemingly married couple sorting through the skeletons in their closets. No, it isn’t a sweeping, happy love scene. It’s not despondent, either. It’s just looking at happiness differently: happiness that comes from honesty and vulnerability.