5 Life Lessons That Going to College Away From Home Has Reinforced

Because the transition from high school teen to college adult isn't always the easiest.

21
pexels.com

When the time finally comes to pick a college, many students find themselves applying to and choosing schools within their local areas. While there is nothing wrong with this by any means, I feel that all young adults should at least have the opportunity to experience life outside the boundaries of their home-state. The world is such an immensely vast place with so much to offer, however, one could miss these various opportunities if they aren't willing to look past their own backyard. After spending all of my childhood and young adult life in Maryland, I forced myself to keep an open mind about schools in different states. I ultimately settled on Penn State (which is a quaint 228 miles from home) and I feel that I've matured more as a result of my decision. I've learned so much about myself, but here are a few of the most important lessons I've taken away. By no means am I saying that I wasn't taught some of these life lessons prior to my college experience, they simply became most evident during my college tenure.

1. The importance of owning your independence.

I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T... do you know what that means?! This is without hesitation the most important lesson attending a college away from home has taught me. Crafting independence should be the first stop on the road to being an adult. I've learned how crucial it is to be able to stand on your own two feet and do things for yourself because there won't always be someone there to push you forward. Not to mention that by the time you're in college you should definitely be able to do your own laundry. It's not rocket science.

2. Taking responsibility for yourself.

I'd have to say that learning to be more responsible was one of the more difficult lessons I encountered. After a short time away from home, it became apparent that mom and dad wouldn't always be there to clean up my messes, whether physical or metaphorical. There won't be anyone there to gently wake you in the mornings for your 8 a.m. class, so set that alarm and hold yourself accountable. The sooner you learn to take responsibility for yourself and your actions, the sooner the adjustment to college life will become smoother. Things get easier when you give up on the excuses.

3. The significance of self care and respect.

With the constant on-the-go nature of college, it's easy to forget the basics of caring for oneself. The small things such as regularly taking your allergy medication, exercising and even just taking time alone can slip through the cracks. It's crucial to make time for these things. In addition to self-care, self-respect is just as important. Sometimes you'll be put into situations that cause you to make decisions that are best for you. Can I let you in on a little secret? THAT IS TOTALLY OKAY! In some instances you need to do what's best for you and keep yourself first.

4. Learning how to find your niche.

Finding your niche isn't always the most easy thing to do, especially when you attend a big school. Penn State boasts over 40,000 undergrads, so I had no idea how I would find where I fit. Personally, this changed when I joined a fraternity. I found a group of friends with similar interests which I suggest everyone attempt to do. Whether it be through Greek life, a club, a sports team... anything. Shared interests really do bring people together. Everyone loves to have a squad.

5. Being and accepting the best version of yourself.

I feel that going to college away from home ultimately turns teenagers into adults. Being an adult is such a multi-faceted "job" (if you agree to call it a job) and going to college in a new environment offers new experiences and new relationships. In addition to this, it also will introduce one to some of the most challenging things faced thus far. Mistakes will be made, it's inevitable. However, how you bounce back and learn from these mistakes is what makes you better. Being farther away from home offers less opportunity to return to a familiar environment and friendly faces when things go astray. It forces you to break away from your comfort zone which is a huge step in growing up.