5 Life Lessons I Learned From Physical Therapy

From a lifetime of experience

380

In over 17 years of physical therapy (the picture above is from when I was 12 or 13), I learned more than how to walk, sit up straight, and jump. Having been in physical therapy for most of my childhood, I learned the kind of life lessons that other people learn elsewhere, perhaps later on in life, or not at all. Here's a few of them:

1. Half of success is showing up

Especially as an independent college student without parental surveillance, it's often tempting to call and cancel if I'm just "not feeling it" or if I have homework to do. Showing up doesn't just mean attending, though. It means going through with it, giving the session everything you've got. Depending on the things you're correcting in PT and how often you go (and if you do your home program!), results might be slow. But they would be nonexistent if you don't even go. The same goes for pretty much everything else in life, whether it be school, work, relationships. You have to go, and you have to work for it.

2. Just try

People in physical therapy usually have conditions that might prevent them from doing any exercise prescribed to them. It's easy to see an exercise or a time goal and be like "No, I can't do it!" How do you know until you tried? A side plank is a side plank and an accomplishment whether it lasts 15, 30, or 60 seconds. If you topple over after three seconds, that's okay. You got on the mat and you tried. There's always something else you can do, but you won't know if you can unless you try.

3. Dress for success

A PT facility is not a fashion runway! When I was younger, I would go to PT straight from school, and while my boobs grew in, there were some weird moments. I remember being around eleven and having to readjust my low-cut shirt every five seconds! I also used to try and get away with wearing jeans to PT, and didn't know I'd need a belt until it was too late. But just as you should wear stretchy pants when you go to PT, you should not wear them on a date at a fancy restaurant. That is, unless you don't want to be successful.

4. Stay hydrated

No, seriously. Bring a water bottle wherever you go, not just PT. Dehydration is a real problem, and it's on you to prevent it.

5. Never give up

Physical therapy keeps me in shape and builds up endurance and strength. It's a battle that I will fight for many years to come. But if I were to give up and stop, I would suffer physical consequences beyond imagination. It's not worth giving up, whether your livelihood depends on it or whether the leg you broke depends on it. Some things in life are hard, but giving up on them because they're hard will make life harder. Patience and perseverance are virtues that I developed in PT, which have gotten me through more than just that.