5 Life Lessons from Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life"

This timeless classic from 1947 continues to lend life lessons to its audience.

144
Plugged In

There are plenty of Christmas movies from Dr. Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas to Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol but there is nothing like Frank Capra’s 1947 It’s a Wonderful Life. This movie has been a family staple for years in my home. It is one of my favorite Christmas movies if not my favorite movie – period. This is a timeless film that hits home no matter where you are in life. Jimmy Stewart’s character is relatable. Most people can feel stuck or not accomplished, the way George Bailey (Stewart’s character) felt. He had such big plans for himself, but life and responsibilities kept getting in the way. I highly recommend this film for anyone who has or does currently feel trapped. All is not lost. There is hope. Whether you believe or not, there is always a guardian angel over your shoulder. Here are 5 times It’s a Wonderful Life gave the audience hope no matter how dark things got:

*If you have not seen this movie yet, be aware there are spoilers*

1. You can never truly imagine your impact on others.

Life is all about perspective. You can wake up and see the good that is happening around you or you could focus on the negative. If you feel life is meaningless and you don’t matter, think again. You may have saved someone’s life or gave their life meaning. George Bailey was visited by his guardian angel and shown what life would have been like if there never was a “George Bailey”. He was completely unaware of how much he truly impacted others’ lives.

2. Life is about your relationships with others. Share your life with others. Live for others.

Every once in awhile it is okay to think of yourself; however, you never want to be selfish or greedy. You want to live life helping others and doing good for others. The richest man in town may have nothing in his bank account. George Bailey, from a young age as you see in the film, never once thought of himself. He was someone who always cared for others and helped others. He saved his brother’s life when they were kids. He took over the family business when his father fell ill. He sacrificed his dreams of travelling the world to settle down with the love of his life. George Bailey did want to accomplish his dream of travelling, but life continued to get in the way and put a halt to his dreams.

After a few other problems that occur in the plot, George Bailey becomes depressed and contemplates suicide. Things have gone from bad to worse – in his mind. It is that moment when his guardian angel arrives to help him and reminds him: No man is a failure who has friends.

3. It’s not what you have that’s important. Don’t judge your life based on what others have or achieve.

This movie constantly reminds us to appreciate what we have. You may not have the most fashionable or most expensive clothes, you may not have the greatest car, but that does not mean you are failing at life. Everyone is on their own individual path in life. It is truly unfair to you to compare your life and accomplishments with someone else’s. Not everything in life is fair. Sometimes people seemed to live a life where opportunities and objects are handed to them on a silver platter. You can’t look at your life and say, “Why can’t my life be like that?” The way I see it – because I have plenty of experience with this thought – God (don’t mind me bringing up higher powers) and the universe always pulls through. There is always a balance. Perhaps that person or those people are receiving all of these opportunities because God may see that they need more help; God believes you are capable of accomplishing your dreams on your own (not alone just maybe without that extra push from him).

4. Look for the best in people.

Now, this is a theme throughout the movie, but one character stands out specifically. Violet Bick is a hussy in this movie. She does not even try to hide it. However, despite her flirtatious attitude, George Bailey never once mistreated her. He respected her and saw her as a human being the same as anyone else. He had such a huge heart for everyone and did not judge them based on lifestyles or appearances.

5. When you’re at your lowest you can only go up from there.

It’s been said that desperation can be the catalyst for amazing things. When you feel like life cannot get any worse, you only have the option to go up and get yourself out of that rut. It may be easier said than done, though. George Bailey was at such a low point in his life. As a worker in a bank, $8,000 was misplaced and that would have meant all the people George took care of and worked with and for would be in a lot of trouble – as well as his own family, which was not a financially stable one per se. On top of “missing his dreams” (i.e. travelling) and not being as successful as he thought he brings himself to the point of suicide. He saw no point. He never accomplished anything spectacular. Wasn’t a war hero. Wasn’t a successful businessman. It took him to get to this point though to realize he has what so many other people do not – respect, love, and friendship from all.

Frank Capra’s It’s a Wonderful Life is an outstanding classic. It was actually meant to be released as a comedy, but there are too many life lessons to be learned from this film. If you have not seen this movie yet, I highly recommend it. As previously stated, this movie is timeless. This may be one movie that can make you feel better if you’ve been in a rut yourself.

(Source: hennyproud.tumblr.com)