6 Life Adjustments For "Busy" People

6 Life Adjustments For "Busy" People

Because life is meant to be more than "busy."

10
6 Life Adjustments For "Busy" People
Vision Times

1) Shift Your Eyes to Relationships, Not the Clock.

Lately, I have found myself just trying to push through the week. I have been so tired and weighed down with a list of everything I need to do for school that my eyes have been drawn more than ever to the hands of the clock on every classroom wall. Or if there's no clock, I will check what the time is on my phone ever-so discretely, every few minutes. My thoughts wander and I look out the window, awaiting the time I get to take a nap or finish a project be done with classes for the day. I am not fond of this realization that my schedule is sometimes blinding me to the wonderful people I pass every day on campus. No one is too "busy" for others. It is all about priorities and intentionality. Would you join me in improving this aspect of everyday life?

2) Make Something Beautiful; We Were Created to Create.

Everyone has the ability to be creative. You don't have to be Picasso in order to be inspired. Taking the time to paint a picture or take a photo or write a song about something you care about is an outlet for expression. It changes your perspective and can open your eyes to the beauty around you, sparking wonder that may have been lost over years of "busy" suppression.

3) Wake Up 30 Minutes Earlier for Quiet Time.

Start your day right with prayer and reflection. Keep a journal and document your thoughts, your hopes, your fears. Reflecting on the past and the present can help you not to worry so much about the future. Realizing where life has gone wrong and how far God has carried you brings a sense of peace and wisdom to make daily changes that are necessary for thriving.

4) Listen to Your Body.

Healthy doesn't always mean exercise or even reduced calories or even sitting down. The body is a complex and amazing thing. Sometimes, your body needs to go to bed at 8:00. Sometimes, after a long day of exerting yourself, you need to eat more than usual and simply rest. Other times, you need to shake off the sleepiness and get moving. Don't push yourself too hard-- if you can't get to everything on your busy schedule, it's OK. Pay attention to your energy levels and what your body needs.

5) Read On the Treadmill.

Busy people love getting stuff done. Why not multitask and knock out both a workout and an assignment/pleasure read? I've found that reading on the treadmill keeps me alert and helps me not to zone out on what I'm reading. Whether it is walking or running, treadmill reading saves time you could spend getting to know someone or simply chilling out.

6) Brew Your Own Tea or Coffee.

Taking time out of your day to heat up a tea kettle or coffee pot, make the tea or coffee, and wait for it to cool are just a few small steps to take a breather in the midst of a chaotic day and think about what really matters. Maybe you could even ask someone to join you. Forming habits of relaxation such as this can also help relieve stress by giving you some sort of routine and consistency.