5 Lessons You Learn When Moving From A Big City To A Small Town For College

College is challenging, but the experiences last a lifetime.

62
Cities Speak

Oh college, a magical four years of laughter, friendship, and learning. While the classroom setting comes with the pursuit of higher education, exploration of the multifaceted self is just as necessary for growth and ultimate happiness. (I'm pretty sure everyone is happier understanding class material than being out of the loop, am I right? Think of that as the beautiful idea of self awareness.) When leaving the protective embrace of the 865, where blood runs orange for the volunteers, and downtown is always a buzz of activity, I learned more about myself than I ever thought possible. Thanks college. Clocking out of my beloved Knoxville, TN, I found that the transition to life in Williamsburg, KY acted as a much needed catalyst, beginning a journey of education and self acceptance. Without further ado, here is a not-so-comprehensive list of lessons I've learned along the way.

1. It's okay to be afraid, but never let that cap your potential

As Aibileen Clark wisely said, "You is kind, you is smart, and you is important." Leaving what you know is scary. Diving head first into one of the biggest chapters of your life is even scarier, but if you let it stop you in your tracks, what's the point? Embrace change, fear, and difficulties! They make you stronger and empower you to hustle everyday to achieve that ultimate goal. No matter what obstacles you face, always remember that you are you, and thats the most magical thing in the world. Being unique is a blessing, my friends.

2. Embrace your new environment, but never abandon your love of home

Whether it's your moms homemade chicken and dumplings, or the loyal pet you left behind, it's important to remember that those things are always going to be a part of you, no matter where in the world you decide to explore. Be mindful of the things to which you said adieu, and say howdy to small county fairs, local food, and some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Embrace the now. College will change you for the better.

3. You are your biggest critic. Use that to fuel improvement!

No one likes to feel inadequate or misplaced, so stop downing yourself! You're amazing! It's terrible to experience the anxiety that harsh self critiques can bring if they go unchecked. Be conscious of the judgements you make of yourself, as well as other people. Turn your frown upside down and change your negative Nancy view to an Eager Edgar extravaganza! You're a big fish in a little pond now. If you don't like the way things turn out, change them. Even the smallest adjustment can make tremendous difference.

4. Dive into campus activities!

This is a big one! You may have a preconceived notion that there isn't much excitement on a small college campus, WRONG. The smaller student body helps foster a great sense of community, and allows you to make friends from all different walks of life and majors! Whether it's a campus coffee night, Flapjack Fridays, or just a quiet night with friends, they make all the difference in how you adjust to college life. On top of that, there's ample opportunity to join clubs, intramural sports teams, research groups, and just about anything else you could imagine. There's something for everyone, you just have to find one (or many) that spark your interest.

5. Homesickness is real, but nothing a call home won't fix!

By now, we have all most likely experienced some varying degree of homesickness. No fun at all. Have no fear, your phone is probably right next to you. Call home! I know, calling home to talk to mom/dad/dog/miscellaneous relatives/tooth-fairy was not something in which most high schoolers participated, but welcome to college. It's the best therapy for a bad day, the best celebration for good days, and essential for updating loved ones on how your education is coming along. There's little that is more heart warming than a good conversation with someone you love...or ice cream...or puppy kisses. All these things are great.

College is a mystical world that, once entered, is never forgotten. Make the most of these times, and always keep your head up. It's not easy to take exam after exam, but it becomes second nature. The acquisition of knowledge, both in and out of classes, is one of the most satisfying, mystical moments of the whole experience. I encourage you to learn about yourself along the way, and break the barriers of your comfort zone with all the strength you possess. It's well worth it in the end. Home will always be home, but university can serve as a second home if you allow it to do so. Happy college, and have fun!