10 Tips For College Freshmen

10 Tips For College Freshmen

A few tips to make the college transition a little bit easier.

19
10 Tips For College Freshmen
Presby

As I enter my junior year of college, I can’t help but reflect on the past two years. It seems like yesterday I was a terrified freshman, crying as my mom drove away leaving me at this crazy place called college. I didn’t really know what to do with myself and frankly I was terrified. Little did I know I was about to start the greatest adventure of my life. In the past two years, I have learned more lessons than it may be possible to count. Everyone feels overwhelmed the first few weeks of college, but these tips will help make things a little bit easier.

1. Go to class.

This is the best tip any freshmen can follow. If you don’t listen to any other tip on this list, pay attention to this one. You can’t expect to do well in class if you aren’t there. “Attendance doesn’t count” is a joke! Even those lovely professors that don’t count attendance for points still pay attention. When it comes down the end of the semester and you are begging for points to make an A, your attendance may make all the difference

2. Get to know your professors.

Don’t let yourself become a number. Make it a point to go to your professor’s office and introduce yourself or find out what their expectations are for you. This is another thing that can make all the difference at the end of the semester or even on a single assignment.

3. Get involved.

College is the time to step out of your comfort zone. Challenge yourself in ways you never felt possible. Don’t think you can be president of one of the largest organizations on campus? You can. If that isn’t quite your style, try a club that has to do with your major. Even just getting out and meeting people will make all the difference in your college experience.

4. Ask for help.

This can go a few different ways. In some respects, it can do with your academics. If you are struggling in a class, it doesn’t make you look dumb to ask for help. It actually makes you look smart and responsible to know when it is time to ask for assistance. There are countless resources on campus for tutoring. In another respect it can have to do with your health, both mental and physical. If you are sick or hurt, ask for help. If you are feeling down, homesick or hopeless, ask for help. Again, there are resources on campus to help you in these situations.

5. Have an open mind.

Going into college you may think you know who you are as a person. More than likely, that will completely change. It’s good to have an open mind. You should allow yourself to change and grow as a person. While you’re at it, try something new.

6. Friends come and go.

In your first few weeks of college, you meet so many people. You may sit with some people at lunch for a few days and then never talk to them. Your roommate may become your best friend and the next semester you may never talk again. Learn from these things, grow from them and move on. Nothing is wrong with you, it’s just how things are. You will find your place on campus and your group of friends, you just have to give it time.

7. Realize and accept that this isn’t high school.

College is a different world. It may be difficult at first, but you will adjust. Classes are harder. I didn’t study at all in high school and I study every single night in college. 4.0 students in high school go to 2.0 students in college. It takes time to adjust, but you can do it. You may have to sit back and reevaluate how you are doing things. For example, maybe it’s time to get a planner and plan out your days.

8. Let your parents help you.

If your parents want to meet every single person on your floor when you move in, let them. If your mom wants to clean every surface in your room, let her. If she wants to decorate every single wall, let her. If your parents want a tour around campus, give them one. Your life isn’t the only one changing. They’ve spent the last 17-18 years raising you and now they are dropping you off in what seems like a different world. Let them help you, let them embarrass you, let them cry. This is harder for them than it is you.

9. Call your parents.

It’s the easiest thing in the world to forget to call home. You get caught up in class, homework and extracurricular activities, next thing you know you haven’t called your mom in a week. She will understand, but her feelings will be hurt. Trust me, your parents want to hear from you! Remember when they used to ask every day how your day was after school? Yeah, they can’t do that anymore and I’m pretty sure it kills them. Take the time, at least a few times a week, to call home.

10. Don’t forget where you come from.

Your college town will end up feeling like home. The place you grew up will no longer feel like the home you once knew. You will actually begin to feel like a stranger in your own hometown. That’s OK. You are growing up and finding your own place in the world, but it’s important to remember where you come from. Don’t forget your friends that were nice to you in your “awkward stage” and the people that helped you get through high school. Don’t forget that high school teacher that made you realize dreams come true and you are worth something. Mostly, don’t forget that your hometown shaped you into who you are. College will mold you some more, but your hometown started the process. Don’t ever think you are too good to give back.

Being in college is a great experience that is denied to most. Make the most of your experience because you are so blessed to be here. Soak it all in and enjoy every moment of it because it goes way to fast. One day you are a scared freshman crying as your mom drives away and the next day, you are a junior writing tips for freshmen. Don’t let yourself get overwhelmed. Remember that is a beautiful ride. Enjoy your freshman year, you will remember it forever.