5 Lessons From 2020 That I'll Be Forever Grateful For, Because There Are Always Blessings Amidst Hard Times

If we can find a way to reach out and be a light to others, our cup will begin to fill as well.

8

1. Family is forever.

Now, this might sound or be cliché, but it's true. Quarantine and a worldwide pandemic have made me realize that although my family can be incredibly annoying and frustrating, they are always going to be there for me, no matter what.

2. Soak in all the time you have with loved ones, because time is limited.

The gravity of this pandemic and the reality that so many people have been separated from their loved ones is insane. I started college this year, and it has been hard entering into a huge milestone of my life without the immediate support of my family, especially given all the craziness. I have learned that it is never going to be a perfect time, so I understand that I must cherish those I love.

3. Loneliness is hard.

Those of you might be thinking, "Well, duh, Madison, being alone is hard." I agree with you. But again, social isolation has affected extroverts (like myself) the most. I don't think that I really understood the gravity of being alone until I was thrust into it and wasn't able to give hugs to people or see their smiling faces.

4. Even though loneliness is hard, I am not alone.

Loneliness has deprived so many people of the community, love, and affection that they need to thrive. From a personal standpoint, I have particularly struggled to be okay with not having my people with me. I have learned that I am never alone, even when I feel like I am. So many others are struggling with loneliness. If we can find a way to reach out and be a light to others, our cup will begin to fill as well.

5. There are always blessings amidst hard times.

This one has been so hard for me to swallow. Shifting my attention to the blessings I have received and given has helped me overcome the awful nature of 2020. For instance, none of my family thus far has had a horror story in regards to the virus, and for that, I'm immensely grateful. I got to graduate high school and passed a large milestone. I survived and passed my first semester of college! Those are just a few of my blessings I got to experience.

I hope all of you have 2021 filled with blessings and joy.