5 Habits Every Student Should Break

5 Habits Every Student Should Break

Old habits are hard to kill, but these five definitely need to go.

4
5 Habits Every Student Should Break
Brian Chan

College affects everyone differently. Some people can easily transition into new settings and experience no problems. Other people cry to their mother over the phone every day when their roommate is out for class. I was somewhere in between. I easily made new friends, but I had a hard time adjusting to the new lifestyle and breaking old habits I formed the past eighteen years. In my second semester of college, I realized what a few of these habits are, as well as some other habits I have heard of from some girls who reside in my dorm.

1. Eating in bed

I'm guilty of this at home, and I'm even more guilty of this in my dorm. Beds are just too comfortable, and it's hard not to sit in them all day. Food is just too darn tasty, and it's hard not to eat it all day. A combination of the both is literally a little bit of Heaven on this planet. However, trying to get in a comfortable position in the middle of the night while rolling around in cookie crumbs is the exact opposite. Learn to be a responsible adult and eat at the table. It's easier to clean nd you'll be saving a few extra dollars for laundry since you won't be washing those sheets every other day.

2. Using Netflix to avoid homework

College is no walk in the park. Very few people (if any) have the ability to get perfect scores on exams and assignments without studying. Instead of starting that new series on Netflix, open a textbook instead. Different classes require different time commitments, just like different shows. Create a schedule so you can stay on track with homework. Getting good grades is difficult, and you can always watch that new series when you're on summer vacation. It may sound a long way away, but it will be worth it when you finish the semester with a grade-point-average you are proud of.

3. Using Netflix to avoid people

Everything said above, except it applies to people. It doesn't hurt to make new friends, and I highly doubt all the women in Grey's Anatomy are going to want to sit around and listen to your relationship problems.

4. Signing up for late classes

Everyone enjoys sleeping in. I am personally a big fan, and I love having my first class at 10:30 AM a couple days of the week. However, signing up for that 8:00 AM is not going to kill you. It may make you tired, but you'll be done with the day sooner. My first semester, I had classes that all began early in the morning. I was done with them all by noon, and I had the rest of the day to do homework and relax. It was nice knowing that I could enjoy that time doing something productive instead of sitting in a classroom.

5. Eating everything in sight

I use to be proud of myself for devouring a whole Canadian bacon pizza. Any pizza is a personal size pizza if you believe in yourself, right? Now, not so much. The freshman fifteen is no joke, and I have a first-hand experience. I feel the need to constantly snack because food is everywhere. It's in the dining hall, it's in my room, it's in the library. Save your body and don't spend the extra money on food. Only buy what is really needed and only eat as much as you truly think you can eat. You'll thank me later for this tip.