My 5 Favorite Companies That Give Back

My 5 Favorite Companies That Give Back

244
My 5 Favorite Companies That Give Back

Most people who know me know I'm not a huge spender on stuff. I shop at Goodwill, ask to borrow other people's things, and most often would rather just save my money. I'm not one to fangirl over brands and in my angsty, high school days, I would have claimed myself an "anti-consumerist."

Despite the fact that I no longer think consumerism is the root of all evil, it still takes me a lot to really latch onto a company who sells "stuff." That being said, I've gotten the privilege to be exposed to a few companies that are game changers. They are giving, ethical, serving, inspiring, sustainable, and world-changing. Not only do they make me want to purchase their products, but they leave me in such awe that I want to promote them to everyone I know. I want people to stop buying things from others and start looking to them when it comes to gifts and accessories.

Furthermore, after studying business for a year I have gained a heart for businesses who use their hard work to give to others. I'm still a skeptic when it comes to businesses saying they "give back." I want some proof, some evidence of their impact.

Below, I have listed five companies that I believe to be completely genuine and honest in their contribution to the world. They are the types of companies that have already helped millions out of poverty, given hopeless people light, and given back in tremendous ways. I think we need to see a little more advertisements from businesses like these. So out of the millions of nonprofits and businesses out there, here are five of my favorite...

1. Ila Joi

Ila Joi is a jewelry company that gives 100% of their profits back to the Haitian artisan women who make the jewelry. Every piece is individually made out of recycled material, then sealed with a tag so you can see who made your bracelet.

Not only does Ila Joi enable these women to be a part of the Haitian economy, the proceeds then go back to them so that they can help support their families.

Most profoundly, Ila Joi operates on their desire to serve God. They promote the power of prayer and empower these women - many of whom are single mother, poor, and still facing the aftermath of the earthquake. This company reminds these women that they DO have a purpose and are capable, talented human beings.

Finally, to top it off, Ila Joi's jewelry is some of the coolest I have ever seen. They are also super affordable. So not only do you get to give back and help Ila Joi's amazing mission, you get some cool accessories to sport.

(Photos from their Instagram, @ilajoi)

2. Keep It Wild

Since living in Arizona, I've gotten the privilege to interact with Keep It Wild a lot. In a short time, they turned into one of my favorite companies.

The business started when two Arizonan school teachers (Casi and Cam) decided to blog about their hikes and other outdoor adventures they had in their free time. Before long, they gained a fan-base and a whole crowd of people who loved hearing about the natural beauties of Arizona, even if it was second hand.

Casi and Cam decided they wanted to do more to glorify and preserve the beautiful places they got to adventure in. They started Keep It Wild so that they could give back to the places that have provided them, and so many others, with adventure, beauty, and awe.

They also realized that these same places had lots of problems, and wanted to do something to help. With so many visitors, many of the natural wonders of Arizona get polluted with trash and chemicals and other harmful materials that dull its beauty. Therefore, the mission of Keep it Wild is to limit these factors and preserve these places.

The business accomplishes this by holding trash pick-ups and other events that facilitate cleaning the earth. (I've been able to go to one!!) They use their social media as an outlet to spark a community and create conversations about the vast amount of responsibility we have in nurturing and preserving nature. They also give 10% of their proceeds from each purchase to an organization that works to preserve and maintain Arizona's natural beauties.

Again, as if their mission isn't enough reason to check out their website, Keep It Wild's products are AMAZING. Inspired from nature in Arizona, their products are the perfect gear for exploring outside. Their shirts are always soft, their stickers always good quality, and their hats a great conversation starter. All of their packages are very personalized, too.

I could go on forever about how much I love Keep It Wild. They do so much to enable people to care about our world and advocate for that. They do giveaways and shoutouts on their social media and really care about their customers. So even if you're not in Arizona, I'd encourage you to check them out.

(Photo from their Instagram, @letskeepitwild)

3.Warby Parker

Warby Parker tops the charts for the most popular company I will discuss, and for good reason. Warby Parker has changed the game for the eye glasses industry while impacting the world in tremendous ways.

Their "Buy A Pair, Give A Pair" model means that when one customer buys a pair of glasses, they give money to their nonprofit partners who then train people in developing companies to sell glasses in their community. The reason they do this instead of just giving glasses aways is so that they can stimulate these economies. By creating jobs and selling affordable eyewear, a necessary business is created.

Warby Parker has already distributed TWO MILLION pairs of glasses to people in need. They work with countries all over the world, many of whom have never had the chance to really be able to see.

To top it all off, Warby Parker has disrupted the eye glass industry by offering prescription, fashion-forward glasses for a fraction of the price of most retailers.

4. Serengetee

Serengetee was founded after two guys (Jeff & Ryan), who met while studying abroad, brought home unique fabrics they had gathered from their travels. They decided to use the fabric to make some shirts, and thus, Serengetee was born. Years later it has evolved into a business whose products are constructed out of material from more than 25 different counties.

Their website allows you to see exactly where the fabric used in the product is from. Therefore, allowing you to see which economy you are helping by purchasing their locally made material.

Serengetee also give 10% of their profits back to a variety of grassroots causes, with a mission to give back these developing communities and spread a positive message.

(Some of their pocket designs, picture from their website)

5. Love your Lemon

Love Your Lemon is a hat company with a way bigger mission than just keeping ears warm. Two college students founded the business as a project to give hats to children cancer. They gave away enough hats for every child with cancer in America (45,000!!!), but are not stopping there.

Love Your Lemon creates cute, cozy head gear with a mission to giving to children affected by cancer. Their hats are specifically designed to be comfortable to the head of a bald child battling cancer. The company's goal is now to give one million dollars to pediatric cancer research, which they will accomplish by donating 50% of their profit to their partners.

As listed on their website, Love Your Lemon has donated more than 2.6 million dollars and 110,000 hats to kids with cancer. They have blown up and created an amazing, positive impact on the lives of so many children.