5 Discoveries About Spending The Summer In Chicago

There's nothing like summer in the city.
36

Chicago is known for its gruesome winters, but no one talks about its summers. Full of humidity, crowds, and a packed social calendar ever, prep for a summer in Chicago is crucial. While no one likes to talk about it, it's something we, unfortunately, have to deal with. One week of a mix of hot days and on and off again rain, and you'll be wishing for the good old days of wind with hail snow.

Survival is essential and it's everyone for themselves. Everyone has their different way of dealing with the heat, but no one can escape what a summer is like in Chicago.

1. The El is somehow even more disgusting.

While its reputation has never been on caliber with that of a limousine or even a Lyft, the El somehow feels even grosser during the summer. From the piling on of bodies for the morning commute to inevitable sweat that grows on everyone from their normal daily activities, the terror certainly weighs in. It’s like even looking less forward to your daily commute.

2. You become covered in sweat from just one train ride.

Not only do you have to deal with your fellow sweaty patrons, but you’re just as guilty. The summer heat escapes no one, no matter how much deodorant you pile on or lack of layers you restrain from putting on. It’s the price we pay for this sunny weather.

3. School isn’t completely out of session.

It may be summer, but it’s still a time to hit the books. I’m not just talking about summer classes either. While those can be a pain, the work still doesn’t seem to end. Sometimes you need to prep for the following year by getting a jump start on courses or worse when your professors give you work to do over the summer. Summer break isn’t always what it implies.

4. Everyone seems to be operating in a different time period.

No one’s plans are like the other. While you may be working for the summer, someone else is vacationing in Europe or doing an internship. Schedules are impossible to keep track of when everyone has their own thing going on. It can be a bit mind-boggling at times trying to keep up the juggling act of who is doing what when.

5. There’s so much to do.

While busy schedules would be enough of a nuisance, there’s also the task of trying to make plans around your schedule. And while it’s nice to have options, sometimes it can be overwhelming to have so many possibilities. From barbecues to summer concerts and special seasonal events, you don’t want to be left out. And these events often require going outside, costs money, or both. What’s a girl to do?